Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

arson982

arson982

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have this old Dell Computer Dimension L500r. I did a fdisk on it but it will boot back up to the dell screen. I do not have a restore CD is there any way that I can find out if windows 2000 is still on there and if there is can I restore it

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you did an Fdisk it will have as good as wiped the machine.

arson982

arson982

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Then why is it able to boot up. Also do you know of a way to make a copy of XP from your hard drive.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo, what do you mean by dell screen exactly is it the BIOS screen or could it be a hidden restore partition on the harddrive, what does it look like

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Fdisk affects the hard drive only. It doesn't have anything to do with the Dell screens.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neil is correct...if you ran FDISK on your system drive then there's nothing left there

the "dell screen" you're talking about is your bios splash page...and i would assume as soon as it's past that it get's to a screen telling you to insert a bootable disk or saying something about a boot media failure

your drive is empty

Also do you know of a way to make a copy of XP from your hard drive

that's not possible.