Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow connection due to router?

• Please log in to reply

Asheley

Asheley

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hello ^^ im not sure if you all can help me with this but im sooooo tired of this problem.
i have 3-4 second lag when online either just browsing the internet or playing online games.
i use google.com as a kind of benchmark (silly i know but it seems to be a good way to see if connection is slow.)
ill type in google.com and if it loads up right away its good.
sometimes though ill have a 3-4 second lag and then the page will load.
i used to have a usr5084 and teh problem started with this router. if i was to renew the ip through the routers home page speeds would be back to normal for minutes to hours and then the problem would persist. i thought the problem was the router so i bought a lynksis wrt54gs v7
at first it was normal but then the problem started reoocuring. i have spoken to the lynksis ppl several times and ive done everything from changing the mtu to manual and setting it to 1400 -1492 and updating the the latest firmware. these measures again work for awhile and then the problem reoocurs and will nto resolev itself.(on a side note when i reset the router the speeds were back to normal until i uploaded my previous config(by the instructions given to me by the lynksis rep) which was weird..it think)
ive tried hooking up the modem directly to my computer and the connection seems fine and without problems.
is there a reason why a router would slow down a connection or make it lag like that?
so far my cable company(comcast) and lynksis have not been able to provide a solution.

i have 2 desktops running windows xp and a laptop using the wireless part of it. wireless has wep security on channel 6
any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Routers have built-in firewall which filters traffic and some of them make heavier weather of it than others.
Its more likely an ISP problem because a router is connected to the provider for hours, days and weeks on end (I have been connected for the last 781hrs constantly - best part of 33 days) and some providers don't like you being connected for hours, days and weeks at a time. I say this because you say it does the same thing on two routers. Bear in mind your USB/ethernet modem wasn't and won't be connected for hours, days and weeks at a time so you wouldn't notice the problem then.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 September 2007 - 05:06 PM.

Asheley

Asheley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hmmmmm im sorry but i dont understand most of what you jsut replied.
is there a way to turn off the firewall in the router settings
or should i call my isp? and if so what shoudl i ask of them?
i didnt used to have this problem before it just recetnly popped up.

Bear in mind your USB/ethernet modem wasn't and won't be connected for hours, days and weeks at a time so you wouldn't notice the problem then.

i dotn understand this sentence either. mypc is uaually on all day and the modem is on and connected all day too .
thank you for your prmopt reply and im sorry if i come off sounding rude and unnapreciative. that is not my intent.

i agree that it might be a isp problem since i never used to have problems before with my usr8054(this is the correct model ><)
this problem only started a couple weeks ago. but i dont know what to tell them since the problem is not apparent when connection sstraight to the modem without the router in between the 2 pieces of hardware(pc and modem)

i dont know how reliable speakeasy tests are but ive run that test connecting to washington dc server(i ilve in virginia) and when my connection is good i get 12k downlaod and 3k upload. at the moment iget 275 download and 193 upload.

Edited by Asheley, 03 September 2007 - 08:03 PM.

Asheley

Asheley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well i want to thank anyone who read this post and tried to help me find a solution but i have isloated the problem.
my brother uses p2p network and it was draining the bandwith so frmo now on he wnt have it on ><
thks again for your help and thank you all who would have helped given the proper instances(<---- forgot word i wanted to use)
anywas kudos d- ^^
laters

wirelesspacket

wirelesspacket

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

well i want to thank anyone who read this post and tried to help me find a solution but i have isloated the problem.
my brother uses p2p network and it was draining the bandwith so frmo now on he wnt have it on ><
thks again for your help and thank you all who would have helped given the proper instances(<---- forgot word i wanted to use)
anywas kudos d- ^^
laters

Asheley If that was me, I would get a handle on your brother using p2p applications. Make sure you know what he is doing on those networks. I am fully aware these p2p services are useful for downloading "Legal" videos and software. Using them for anything other then that (I do not think I need to mention what!) can put the individual who's name the ISP service is under into a bit of Legal trouble...

If these options are available inside your routers console. I would suggest setting your yourself and your brother up with some type of "Quality of Service".

Doing so will ssplit the amount of bandwidth you and your brother use equally. So you both have equal share of the bandwidth provided by your ISP. Also try blocking any ports used by the p2p service on your router. Again, blocking ports if he is using p2p for anything other then Legal free content..

Wirelesspacket