Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
We have a laptop and today it decided to tell us wrong password and not let us log in. It leaves us with the choice of continuing to try to log in and getting the message repeatedly, or to turn off the computer.

We can't even get into the computer settings. Its going directly to the windows log in window. :whistling:
Is there anything we can do?

Thanks!

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Do you mean to say that the F8 function does nothing?

CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried the F8,F2 and F12. They all come up and everything seems great, then when I click enter, nothing happens. I tried to disable the admin password thing but the enter key didn't work and when I restarted, it still needed a password and claimed mine didn't work.

Would it help to remove the battery and put it back in? I've tried using the power cord and that didn't make a difference.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you are stopped by a password problem, Geeks to go cannot help. My best advice is to take the computer to a repair shop with proof of ownership. They will able to correct the problem quickly and at small cost.

CharlieGirl

CharlieGirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you.

I owe you an apology. Until I started thinking about you saying I needed proof of ownership, I never even considered that you would have no idea whether the laptop actually belonged to me or not and that if someone had told me how to fix it, they could have been helping someone with a stolen laptop.

I apologize for putting you in the position of having to tell me that. I am a ditz at times and I guess that proves it.

Edited by CharlieGirl, 03 September 2007 - 10:13 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
No problem--glad you understand. :-)