Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet connection for laptop

• Please log in to reply

Mbram

Mbram

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,
I just purchased a laptop. I have DSL internet on my home PC (desktop) and I want to have high speed internet access for my laptop as well. I don't even know where to begin with equipment. Do I need a router? Do I need a USB wireless network adapter? Both of these? I'm not even sure as this is all very new to me. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks, MB

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, Mbram and welcome to Geeks to Go!

To have a functioning network wirelessly, you will need a router, also called an Access Point. A couple of my personal favorite manufacturers would be Netgear and Linksys. The others will work well, but I see fewer problems with these two.

Now, before I tell you to go buy an adapter, I want to make sure that you don't have on built-in, internally. Did you buy this computer online? Can you link me to a sales page? If you have an internal adapter, then you really don't need to buy an adapter from the store. Some people do that if they can get better signal, but for most users, the internal device will work just fine. Right now we just need to know if you have one already.

Let me know if you have any questions :whistling: