Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No taskbar

• Please log in to reply

skidude108

skidude108

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have Windows XP Professional, but for what it's worth, I don't have the CD anymore. I have a really old CD that a friend gave me.
The computer is running two hard drives in RAID 0 with a third hard drive on it's own as a sort of back up.

The problem is that my taskbar shows only a little bit of the top of itself when I start the computer, then it usually goes away completely shortly thereafter. It's not hidden, it actually disappears. The windows button doesn't work or anything.

There are a number of errors in the event log, but I can't view them. Nothing happens when I try to view them. All they say is "Application Error" and under the error column, they say 1000.

There are no network connections showing in my network connections, my printer doesn't work, and the windows sound doesn't play when I start windows.

My virus scanner bit the dust, and I can't make it work (AVG FREE), I have un-installed it and re-installed it a number of times, but I keep getting errors and it won't scan or update or anything.

And the weirdest thing; One time when I restarted it, it froze while booting, and there was a strange smiley face sitting at the top of the screen, with a green line flashing next to it. It was never there before, and I haven't seen it since.

My first guess is that I have a virus, but I can't get AVG to work so I can't get rid of it because that's the only way I know how to deal with viruses.

Please help me!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi skidude108...

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

skidude108

skidude108

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I did all that stuff, and none of it worked (they were all broken for one reason or another) and I posted all the info I had into a hijack this thread with a log.

This was 2 days ago and I haven't recieved a response, and I've found more info.
The taskbar doesn't load in Safe mode, and when I boot into safe mode, it asks me which Operating System I want to boot into and the only option it gives me is "nevermind" - reminds me of the little smiley face that laughed at me before.

The more I try to use the computer, the more I find that doesn't work. I can't move pictures or view them, and copying and pasting only works sometimes.

I also get an error message every time I start the computer that says "NVIDIA RAID Service English Language has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I'm getting very frustrated with this computer but I don't know what to do, and I can't ask for more help in the Hijack This thread because they will think it's already been answered, which it hasn't, and I can't ask in the waiting room yet because it hasn't been 3 days.