Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Monitor Not working

• Please log in to reply

ChibiPandaKun

ChibiPandaKun

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but i couldn't find a better place.

First of all, my brother gave me his ECS G730. I turned the sucker on and could hear all the insides running. The problem is that the monitor doesn't turn on. It'd be easy to just bring it to some repair shop, but i'd like to know if it's something that i can do myself. So any help is appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Plug it in to an external monitor (if it has the port to do so) to determine if the screen on the laptop is the problem.

ChibiPandaKun

ChibiPandaKun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
And if that didn't work.. :whistling:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If there is no output on the laptop's own screen and no output on a separate screen, then unfortunately the laptop is effectively toast.
You can flip it over and take the memory and/or hard drive out to see if it makes a difference, but if not then mainboard problem and laptop mainboard problems = write-off.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Note there may be a hot key to tell the laptop to output to an external monitor.... It's usually the Fn key + one of the function keys... Also you could try shining a flashlight into the laptop screen, if you can faintly see the picture than it's either the invertor or the backlight... IF not then it's the lcd.... lcd replacement isn't usually worth it...