Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

maxtor 80 gb hd shows only 30 gb

• Please log in to reply

trommiej

trommiej

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey everyone, i've got a maxtor-98196h8 80gb harddisk installed with capacity limitation jumper on, that's probebly why it's only showing 30gb :tazz: lol.
But if i set the jumper settings to slave, the system hangs after the memory check.
I tried to only connect that hd and unplug all the other hardware witch was not helping.
I tried setting the cylinders/heads/sectors manually witch didn't help either.
I've got a 300mhz. pII computer with an award v4.51pgm bios.
Can anyone help me out ?

Tnx in advance,

Trom

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Why can't you just remove the 32GB clip jumper & configure it as a master.

trommiej

trommiej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
cuz if i do, the computer hangs while detecting hd's and cd/rw players.

tnx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sorry, just noticed your system CPU specs. Sounds like your bios doesn't support 80GB drives in that case.

Check that with the motherboard manufacturers website first if you like but I'm fairly sure that will be the problem. Go to Maxtors website & download Maxblast or whatever they use nowadays to overcome 32/64GB limt. This is a drive overlay utility that lets the system work with drives that exceed the bios drive capacity limit