Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

256 mb ram only works as 128 mb ram

• Please log in to reply

trommiej

trommiej

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey there, I recently added a little ram to my computer(256mb.) but it only works as a 128 mb ram. :tazz: I'm shure i was not fooled at the store cuz on my other computer it does show 256mb.
does anyone know hot to fix this problem?

tnx,

Trom

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Are you certain that your motherboard supports 256MB on a single module?

trommiej

trommiej

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
don't know, how can i check it?

tnx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Look in the mobo manual if you have it or go to manufacturers website & check specs.

Whether this is even an issue can be determined from the system specs - ie if you have an athlon or a P4 for example, then it will support 256MB without a doubt. If you have a P2 or early P3, then you need to check

Ace_Rimmer

Ace_Rimmer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your motherboard may not be compatible with the type of ram you're using, I've had the same problem but when I changed the memory for double sided it worked fine, see if you can change the ram for double sided if it's only single sided

Cheers
Ace