Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trying to network my new iMac with my PC

• Please log in to reply

grsimon

grsimon

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi - I am trying to network together a new iMac and a PC that I have running in my house so I can share files and also share a printer connected to the PC. I am using a linksys router, and the PC is connected by wire and the iMac is wireless. I am able to ping the mac from the PC, but not the PC from the mac. I have tried everything including turning the windows firewall completely off (afer I disconnected my DSL modem first) but have not had any luck. It seems to me this would be a firewall problem (both computers can access the internet through the router fine), but I am at a loss since I tried turning the firewall off and that did not help. Any ideas?

UPDATE - I think I found the firewall problem - I had vpn software running on the pc for work, and once that was turned off, I am now able to ping the pc from the mac. I can also see the mac and access the mac's drives from the pc, but I am still not able to see the pc or the drives (or the printer) from the mac. anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I do have the drives that I want to share set to allow sharing.

thanks,

Edited by grsimon, 04 September 2007 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Have you got any extra firewalls running on the pc?
and have you enabled file + printer sharing on your PC windows firewall?