Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Boot up Problems

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an approx 8 year old homemade computer, made by a computer programer friend of mine that since moved away. It has been upgraded with hard ware a few times, video card, ram and a new hard drive, but nothing has been added or changed in at least 2 years.

It has:

An in Intel 2.4 g processor, socket 478 chipset.
Asus PS4533 Motherboard.
1.5 g ram.
256 NVIDIA video card.
Creative labs SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer sound card.
Windows XP Pro.

This computer has always worked great and I keep the drivers, which I know of, up to date. I have never updated the mother board drivers, though as I am not sure which ones to use as none of them I read about on the ASUS forum seems to fit what I have or need. Also, I have read that if you are not having bios problems then to just leave it alone.

Recently I have had troubles getting it to boot all the way up properly.
It goes all the way to my desk top screen, loads all my icons and background and than freezes and fails to go any further. I does not load my other start up programs such as wireless network, Norton, sound icons and other items that are in my lower right hand start up tray. I have to manually shut it down by holding in the power button and then restart it. It usually works fine the next restart and even many time loads properly on the very first try.

I have NO spy ware or viruses as I have Norton and Ad-aware that I run every few days and keep installed and on for constant protection. I also have windows firewall and defender installed and running at all times.

As a note. When and once it does load properly, this system runs with out a single flaw.

Any Ideas on possible fixes would be appreciated.

Edited by ICEHOLE, 04 September 2007 - 07:57 AM.

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Norton AV could be the cause. It's a resource-hog, and, by the way, don't get too complacent about being 'protected' with Norton. It may surprise you to know that in several tests this year it came near the bottom for virus detection and was soundly beaten by the free version of AVG which doesn't use anything like as much memory either.

Just as an experiment, remove Norton and install AVG Free instead. Get it here: http://free.grisoft....2/lng/us/tpl/v5
Then see if your PC still 'hangs' at startup.

Another annoyance with Norton is that it never removes itself completely because it creates folders, files and registry entries everywhere. That means a competing product won't install until you get rid of all the norton remnants. You will need the norton removal tool to do that, and it's here:

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am going to try your fix and see what happens. What does make me agree with you is that Norton is like the second visible thing to load once my desk top shows up and my icon tray at the bottom appears. First, the quick time log appears and then Norton and then my wireless network icons and so on. I was wondering myself if Norton could be a problem as that is where it freezes.. right after quick time loads.

I will try your fix and then report back. Thank you for responding!