Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on Supplier/Builder Needed

• Please log in to reply

Yoshimine

Yoshimine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If all goes well for me financially, I may be getting a new computer before the year's done. Only problem is, my family hasn't ordered a custom machine since ABS PC still sold budget barebones systems. (Yeah... that long ago.)

I absolutely refuse (if money allows me to be that picky) to go with a brand name company. I would rather get myself a bad cold, than a computer with one of those blasted "restore discs." Thanks but no thanks... computers are a pain in the neck enough without having your drivers tied up on a version of windows that will be obsolete long before the computer itself hopefully is.

ANYHOW... the question is this... I've been away from the whole computer scene long enough to not have the first clue on what company can sell me a reliable (functional is a plus...) custom built desktop system, minus the restore disk headache, for the more modest budget. (So naturally, ABS PC is now totally out of the running.) The only other name I'm familiar with is Leadcomp.com, and sadly, if their desktops are anything like their laptops... never mind...

The one thing I liked about Leadcomp, was their selection of parts. I've noticed other companies don't give you nearly that much choice. Of course I don't know many companies.

So ... what is the best place online to build a custom built pc (that the company will assemble), for a price I can hopefully afford, with a selection of reliable parts (I'd rather not get cheap RAM that will malfunction in a year), minus the foul restore disc and which will hopefully work for a little while longer than 2 years. Or has anybody had bad experiences with leadcomp's desktop systems?

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
XG makes some nice, cheap ones

www.buyxg.com

cyber power too

www.cyberpowerpc.com

look in ANY pc gamer magazine and you'll see ads for cheap pc's that are actually pretty decent component wise