1) Is there a way (cheap, if not free) to create an image of my hard drive so that when I get the new hard drive, I can transfer everything over (OS, programs, files, etc)?
2) I can't find any laptop HDDs with a rotation speed of more than 5400 rpm. Is this pretty standard for laptop HDDs? I'm running XP SP2, so it's not like I need the extra speed. But it would certainly be nice.
3) I can get a 120 GB drive through a company with which my college is associated, and can do so for only $90. Would this be considered a suspicious price, and should I look elsewhere?
4) I plan on giving my current HDD to a friend for her currently dead laptop (but it's just the HDD that killed it, I'm pretty sure.) Could I reformat the drive in my laptop and setup XP on it, or would I have to setup the OS after I install the HDD in her laptop?
5) Are all laptop HDDs pretty standard? Would my HDD fit in her computer? I don't see why not... but I'm not sure if there is in fact an industry standard.
Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really most concerned about questions 1 and 3. No need to try to tackle all five, but kudos if you do!