Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursed pc

• Please log in to reply

flashbax

flashbax

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi im new and from what i read on the post here this is the place to come for some sound advice. Ok my problem was and kinda still is, I built up a small but fairly quick pc for my girlfriend out of the spare parts and some new ones i had left over from my new pc build, the one i have on my system spec. Hers is fine im on it now. The problem is i cant get my own system to work right it seems to be cursed. To start off with i went out and got a KT7N2 Delta2 platinum edition MOBO and a 3200+ AMD XP running with my old but trusted sound blaster audigy2 and gforce fx5600 graphics card. After putting everything in and making sure the boot sequence was right ect,ect. I was happy to then boot up the pc, Oh and i have a stick of 1gig DDR PC133. But when i booted up the pc it just beeped at me short single looped beeps. Checked out the bios pages for a answer and found it to be either a bad CPU or AGP card, but it is not any as both are running in this pc now. So then changed the MOBO for the same make and model and now it beeps 3 times in a sequence. Then changed the memory to a couple of sticks of 256 getting me 512 DDR not sure what type, and now no bleeps nothing. I need help im going crazy spending money i really dont have to get my pc up and runing.
I know the old MOBO i had might have effected this due to differing chip systems but its a fresh instal so this shouldnt be a problem, should it!!!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Its really hard to say what the problem is as you've swapped several bits of hardware about at a time.

I assume you know the CPU is OK cos you've used it since on another system.

Personally, I would try the following things :

1. make sure all your hardware is compatible with the mobo by checking manufacturers specs etc

2. Strip system down to bare components (ie only CPU/heatsink, graphics, RAM, keyboard) Remove all drives & their cabling as well as PCI cards etc

3. Clear the bios using the Clear CMOS jumper

4. Double check any jumper settings on the mobo, especially CPU/RAM related ones.

Your original problem may just have been caused by a badly seated video card.

If you still can't get this to work, then post the number of beeps etc before changing anything else.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First follow Samm's advice it is very good.

You have to let us know what speed the ram is i.e. pc 3200 ?

Also just to add to Samm's advice take the mobo out of the case and place on a piece of cardboard to eliminate the possibility of a case short.

Rick

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok then will do the stripping down thing, then put the mobo on cardboard try it that way. Never thought of the tower being one of the factors. Thanks people hope it works im gonna be spending some time this weekend trying to get my head round it. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well the tower actually is not the problem its just a way of checking to see if it was the way the mobo was mounted in the tower.

believe me this is a way to common problem and something that is overlooked.

Rick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Placing the mobo on card or pile of paper is fine - I didn't suggest it straight away cos stripping out case may not have been necessary until you had tried the first recommendations.

Case can be a factor in this type of problem, especially if theres a metal spacer behind the board that doesn't line up with one of the holes!

Be aware of the following though :

1. Make sure entire underside of board is protected by the card or paper so nothing can make contact with anything that might harm it.

2. Assembling the board this way often results in the front panel soft power switch (or any front panel connectors) no longer reaching to the mobo. This is irrelevant for most of the connectors (although system speaker is handy for diagnostics purposes). But it will mean that you can't power the system on in the normal way.

To overcome this, you will need to make a note of the 2 pins that the power switch normally connects to. When you want to power the system on, make sure PSU is turned on at mains then just briefly bridge the 2 pins with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Make sure obviously, that the screwdriver doesn't come in contact with any other part of the mobo!

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry to keep going on like this but i need more help :tazz:

Edited by flashbax, 17 April 2005 - 03:25 AM.

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok tryed all of the above and found it to be another faulty MOBO. so went out got another one the same make model. The shop would only exchange not refund!!!
Ok i feel like a total noob but now i put the new MOBO in the same tower and it started up fine got the platinum screen all went well until i came out of bios after telling it to boot from CD. then when it reset it just didnt come back on. I have no idea why it has done this. I cleared the bios jumper and it still will not come back on. I have a j-bracket with 4-leds and it has the sequence that means (early chipset initialization) but just hangs there. Im really at my wits end with this thing now im gonna stamp all over it soon. Ok im off dowm Manchester to calm down. Any ideas on how to get my stupid MOBO working would be much appreciated.. :tazz: ;)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're obviously using the same CPU which you had in the faulty motherboard, right?
This means you would have had to remove it & reinstall it in the new board. Can you tell me what procedures you followed when doing this in regards to the heatsink/fan/thermal paste?

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok i dont use thermal heat paste, the instructions on AMD CPUs advise against it. And i just slot the CPU in the socket slide the lever back then clip the HSF in to place over the 3 brackets with a screw driver and its in place. Well i hope its in place and the right way. :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, you are right, AMD do advise against this & technically it can void the warranty BUT you also need to be aware of the following :

1. IF you bought a retail CPU (ie came with hsf), then there will have been a thermal pad on the bottom, protected by a film. This film is removed first then hsf installed. No thermal paste is needed so long as you're not overclocking it.

2. IF you bought an OEM cpu, it comes with no warranty, so voiding warranty is not an issue. It also means that you must buy your own hsf. You must make sure hsf is of an adequate rating for your chip. Also, it won't necessarily come with the thermal pad, in which case a good quality thermal paste (such as artic silver) IS required. This should be applied so it is over the die of the cpu, & is of the right amount.

3. If you remove the hsf at any point (eg when removing the cpu), the old paste should be removed & the hsf cleaned before reinstalling it with a new application of thermal paste. As far as I am aware, this also applies to retail cpus/hsfs with pads, but maybe someone else can confirm that.

As far as installing the hsf is concerned, it sounds like you put it on the right way round, just need to make sure it sits squarely over the cpu.

Its also worth noting that the hsf should only be attached when the mobo is out of the case & placed on a hard, flat, non-conductive surface. (eg sheet of cardboard on a desk etc). Installing them while mobo is in the case, places too must pressure on the mobo causing it to bend due to the gap created by the spacers.

Also of course, the system must never be powered up without the hsf securely in place, even for just a second.

I'm telling you all this because its starting to sound like a problem with the processor. The most common of which for a new cpu, are caused by the cpu overheating due to the things I pointed above.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

3. If you remove the hsf at any point (eg when removing the cpu), the old paste should be removed & the hsf cleaned before reinstalling it with a new application of thermal paste. As far as I am aware, this also applies to retail cpus/hsfs with pads, but maybe someone else can confirm that.

Yes it does also include the pads, if the pad is disturbed in any way such as heating up and cooling down of normal operation even one time you need to clean and reapply

Rick

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I bought the CPU retail so came with AMD HSF. I dont know as much as you guys do about CPUs ect but i know just about the basics, you need to to build your own pc. But there are still a lot of things i need to improve on and if you guys can put up with my asking then im most greatful. Right guys i managed to get it working with a bran new PSU did a fresh instal of XP and now im away but i need help still on what i need to do to get my CPU running at full power. Its a 400fsb 3200+ but in the bios there is no option to enable the 400fsb i cant remember the exact number it runs to and i cant find on the AMD site the right clock speed i need to imput to run my CPU at full speed. Do i need to flip a jumper on the board, the guid the MOBO came with is only a quick guide and dont really go into to much detail.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What mobo do you have?
We also need to know the ram?
The cpu is it a 3200+ barton socket A or a 64 3200+?

you can download and install Everast it will give you this info

You set the fsb in bios to 200 for a 3200+ cpu but don't do this untill you answer the above because there may be a reason bios did not load the default settings or it could be a jumper on the board but I have to download your manual when you tell us what board you have to be sure

Everast will also give you temps post your cpu temp.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
oops sorry just found your mobo and cpu I am clear on that but still need to know the speed of your ram

Rick