Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursed pc

• Please log in to reply

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeh sorry this is taking so long, Im always busy when i get home from work so really only have weekend to sort this out and put a good few hours in. I bought a new hard drive but still nothing, just a blue screen with some thing like "windows has stopped so your computer is not harmed check all HDDs or any other newly installed hard wear then a long error number at the bottom of screen..

Edited by flashbax, 29 April 2005 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
List that error if you get it again

What did you find with memtest86?

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok the error number is.....stop:-0x0000007b (0xf789e640,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
That is exactly how is appears on the blue screen, and can i please have a link to the memtest page i need i cant seem to get to the right page with what im doing..
Thanks again for every ones help in trying to sort this out, this really is a firsr class help forum :tazz:

Edited by flashbax, 30 April 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
memtest

I'll see if I can find anything on that error

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Any luck with that error, i cant sem to run memtest not sure if it unzips when i put the floppy in the drive. or should i just un zip and then try putting it on the floppy.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you have the floppy disk version, unzip the file to the hard drive. Insert a blank floppy disk then double click on the install.bat file. This will create a bootable floppy containing the memtest program. Don't worry if you can't see any files on the floppy after creating it, this is normal.

Doby, sorry for butting in again...!

flashbax, you mentioned in an earlier post that you had bought a new hard drive, then you received the 0x0000007B error. This error denotes a problem with the boot device. Can you tell me :

What type of drive it is (sata or normal IDE) & its size?
Did you simply attach the new drive & boot the XP CD or did you partition it first or what?
Did the drive autodetect in the bios correctly & if so, is it set as master on the primary controller?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Samm you can help me out any time, no worries there

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Samm you can help me out any time, no worries there

View Post

Cheers Doby, same applies to you!

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
sorry its taken so long to reply back, thanks for looking into the code thing samm. Ok im pretty much at my witts end with computers now, the one im on now has died after a failed system restore. So runing a betas version of XP. But slows to a stop after a min or two running so anything i click on just takes for ever to run. Memtest still no luck just the same code every time i turn on the pc.
So blairs back in, should let us bikers use the [bleep] bus lanes... I have a normal IDE HDD not a SATA raid but i might try one just to see if i have any luck. Even if im the unluckys guy in the world at the mo :tazz:

Edited by flashbax, 08 May 2005 - 04:12 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I take it you are still using the new drive in the system as the boot drive?
Can you tell me is Windows now loaded fully on that drive or are you still trying to install it?

Can you tell me what make the drive is & what size it is please?

Advertisements

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
ok the drives im running are, 80gig maxtor, 40gig maxtor tryed xp on both and the same blue screen with error code. Next i have a 30gig western digital had the op system running on my new setup for agbout 2 days then all went to [bleep]. All on IDE all formated usinf XP full format, Have tryed windows XP Beatas version and win XP PRO at the mo im running XP pro on my other system but its not running to well keeps slowing to a stop no idea why. Thanks for all the advice and help every one really really glade you guys take the time to help even tho i keep coming back with more wrongs.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, you said both the 40GB & the 80GB drive result in the same error when installing the OS. Did you remove the 80GB from the system when installing to the 40G, and did you remove the 40GB when installing to the 80GB? Or did you just swap them round on the cable?

Also, the blue screen error msg - is it still the same 0x0000007B error like before & how far through the XP install does this happen?

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I just swopped the IDE and power cable round on the HDDsfrom the 40 to the 80 and vice-versa. I never had them both running at the same time, one just idle with the other installing. So not sure if any of this helps. Hope it will cheers again samm :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Also, the blue screen error msg - is it still the same 0x0000007B error like before & how far through the XP install does this happen?

View Post

what about the error message?

flashbax

flashbax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It gets up to the point that windows is going to appear then the blue screen pops up, just after the windows loading bar or just before. But thats as far as it goes