Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scandisk always scheduled on D drive?

• Please log in to reply

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
On my sis WinXP machine, suddently (undubtely she install some crap or so...) after every restart/power on a scandisk briefly scan the NFTS D drive (SYS C is FAT32). Just the there quick pases, but it is [bleep] annoing.
I can't find anything in autoruns, much less in startup control pannel.
Anyone have any clue/suggestions where to look?

PS. no IE used (in fact, IE get deleted!) and Ad-Aware or Spybot result in NO problems found. Also it continue to happening even I scanned manually and completely the D drive... That in fact means, that I for example can't even defragment the drive, because Diskeeper will keep telling me, that scandisk is scheduled to run on D drive...
Hence how I disable this automatic schedule on...? Where to look?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi trodas...

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt in the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query d: and press "Enter".

Does this query indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

To end the command session, type exit and press "Enter.

wannabe1

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yes. D is dirty, C is clean. Right after boot to XP. And also right after the annoing scan that found nothing bad, as always... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Running the default scan will do nothing to unset the dirty bit.

Open My Computer and right click on the D: drive....choose "Properties". Under the "Tools" tab, click on the "Check Now" button. Select both option checkboxes and click "Start". When you are prompted to schedule this to run on the next boot, click "Yes". Close all open windows and reboot.

This should run the full check on the next boot and will usually unset the dirty bit that has flagged the drive. Once it finishes and you are back in Windows, reboot again to see if chkdsk still wants to run.

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yes, I did exactly that yesterday and the scandisk still schedul itself again and run again... :whistling:
(it took ages tough, to do the full scan... 160G Maxtor IDE PATA drive)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you ever gotten any "Bad Block" errors from that drive?

Try running the Maxtor diagnostics on it. Seatools for Windows (you'll have to accept the agreement to get to the download).

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Completely 0 errors, NO bad blocks whatever... :whistling: It started with something my sis did there, but he did not know what... :blink:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To set the dirty bit: click start > cmd. Type: fsutil dirty set d: press Enter

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
Download Runscanner and do a scan, my gues is that it's in the "Bootexecute" section.

But, I've been wrong before :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I need to know more about Runscanner before I can recommend it's use. Use this tool at your own risk.

Advertisements

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Intresting, I check the tool - nice one zip file, no install... tomorrow I check sis machine with it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,65,00,63,00,6b,00,20,\
00,61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,6b,00,20,00,2a,00,00,00,00,00

But I will also see the BootExecute things if they are as they should be :whistling:
The Chkntfs /X d: sounds interesting, but does that mean the win does not recheck the drive anymore? (till I reset this settings with /D option?) That could be bad too... Checking the drive automaticaly when things go bad is a good thing to do, right?

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Bad & worser news :whistling:

PowerMax find out that the drive is, using the long scan, 100% certified error free.

Exactly as I expected. [bleep]. There is also nothing suspicious in the Boot Execute - just the autocheck, as standard.

Runscanner does work pretty nicely on my Win2k SP4 machine (hardly optimized!) but it does refuse to work at all on the sis XP SP 1.0a nLite machine, claiming this:
Posted Image

Using fsutil dirty set d: set the drive as dirty (it is always dirty after boot anyway) and hence re-setting it again as drity does have zero effect. The "auto dirty drive problem" is not going away this way.

Shall I try the

chkntfs /X D:

...?
It will disable the checking completely on the D drive - this is probably worser thing that have to checked the drive all the boot time, tough just for a test? Or maybe try chkntfs /D to restore the default settings there? :blink: Suggestions?

Edited by trodas, 07 September 2007 - 05:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try running just chkdsk /r on the drive...from Recovery Console if you can. Watch the test as it runs. Does it sometimes seem to hang or back up?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After you type fsutil dirty set d: and reboot chkdsk runs automatically. Have you tried to let it run? Please do. After that, on next reboots, chkdsk will not show up again (I hope).

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Guys, guys. You overlook I already tried the through complete drive scan, including back blocks and the drive is certified error free? :whistling: :help:

Hence running chkdsk /r is not necessary AND I did not only complete chkdsk run more that once, I did also the whole PowerMax Maxtor DOS drive utility scan and drive is certified 100% error free! :)

fsutil dirty set d: and reboot chkdsk runs automatically. Have you tried to let it run? Please do.

It run every boot and I always let it run/finish :) Setting the fsutil dirty set d: did nothing, only do what it already done on the Win boot :) Hence no difference.

Only thing that help is fsutil /X D: :angry:

This stop the checking of D: completely. However the drive is STILL dirty after reboot. This is weird. How come the XP insist on the drive being so dirty? :) That is the question. I run the scandisk in windows and the drive is still dirty. I run it trhoughly on recover console on next reboot and quess what. The drive is still dirty... :blink: