Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard and no restore software!

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I replaced an motherboard in a EMachine. The other board died. The board has a different chip set and I know the restore software won't work in the future. I was able to boot up and install the drivers this time but in the future I won/t be so lucky. IF I have an OEM version of XP Pro can I install it and use the XP pro key numbers that are pasted on the Emachine and make it work. It is not fair that they don't give you a copy of XP instead of the restore Software. I was told my some one that If you had a oem copy of XP you could use it and use the key numbers on the emachine to install. Do you think this would work?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, it will work but you need to make sure that the XP disk that you are using is identical to the XP that originated on the computer. For example if your computer started with XP Pro Service Pack 2 you must have a cd that include service pack 2.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You will also most likely have to call Microsoft to activate your copy. It only takes about 6 minutes.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
THe Emachine was setup with XP Pro SP1 and most OEM are now XP pro sp2.

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just did a total clean install on my emachine. I formatted the whole hard drive, then used my windows xp pro cd and I was up and running in a little over an hour. I don't know why that wouldn't work for you. But I may not understand what you are trying to do. I am no expert, but I do know how to erase it all and start over. :whistling: I tend to get into trouble, messing with things I shouldn't be! All I know is it works for me. Gypsy

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
When changing major hardware in a Emachine renders it's restore software useless. So in the future I might have to borrow a oem version of XP pro and use it in conjuntion with the Key numbers for the Emachine. The other way is to buy a copy and install it. I can't see buying another copy when Emachine should outfit you with a seperate copy of XP so this won't happen. Bruce

GypsyJana

GypsyJana

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My son has emachine also and he called the company, they will sell you full system restore cd, for around 20 dollars. I just renistalled new copy. Good luck

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, But a restore CD won't work when you change a major piece of hardware like the motherboard. I will have to get a full version XP OEM and install. For the Emachine restore CD to work it would have to be the same exact motherboard that came out of it. Those boards are trouble so it is not worth the 189.00 that Emachine wants for thier board. Thanks Bruce