Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory question...

• Please log in to reply

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i currently have 512 DDR memory and im looking to upgrade. my question is this: can i put any size stick in with my current memory (ie: 256, 512, 1gig, 2gig, etc...)? or do i have to put a 512 stick only and nothing else? i had the notion you had to "double" your memory and not just simply add on any amount. and if i can add on any amount, would a 1 gig stick work with a 512 stcik?

thanx

*edit* ive checked the website (i have an emachines) and my comp can support UP TO 2 gigs of memory (ie: two 1 gig stciks)

Edited by nervous-ferret, 14 April 2005 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Only need to use ram stick of the same size if you are trying to run dual channel memory, in which case, its advisable to use 2 sticks that are not only the same size but also the same manufacturer, speed etc. Otherwise any size should work but get one that supports the sane speed or higher than the original one. (Ram will run only at the speed of the slowest module)

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ive found what size i wanna upgrade too (prolly a 1gig) but i have different options with regards to pins. i took my current stick out and looked to see if it was written on there how many pins it had, but didnt see anything. anyone tell me where ican go to look for how many pins my mem card needs to have?

i have an emachies and i dont see it on their site.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What CPU have you got?
Also, have a look inside your system, the memory modules will have 1 or 2 notches in the bottom (look at module or look at socket to find out). How many notches do you see?

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

What CPU have you got?
Also, have a look inside your system, the memory modules will have 1 or 2 notches in the bottom (look at module or look at socket to find out). How many notches do you see?

View Post

cpu is P4 2.53 ghz

if by notches you mean the little things at the end of the memory slot that keep the card in place, then i have 2 (one on eather side) i took the current card out and to replace it i just "slide" it in and it "clicks"

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No, I mean if you take module out & look at the copper contacts on the bottom edge, you should see some semi-circular notches.

Other way of doing this, is just tell me the make & model of the motherboard

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

No, I mean if you take module out & look at the copper contacts on the bottom edge, you should see some semi-circular notches.

Other way of doing this, is just tell me the make & model of the motherboard

View Post

lol guess i told you i have two clips that hold my meme stick in place (LOL) well took it out and saw this:

1 notch in the middle
2 cricular holes in the corner (1 at each corner)
2 semi circles on the edge of eah side (4 total semi circles)

im guess you wanted to know the 1 notch in the middle, right? well i searched high and dry on the net and saw that the card i get has to have 184 pins, correct? i went to emachines (i have a t4510) and tried to look for it there, but no luck. so went to 4allmemory.com (or something like that) and it had the 184 pins.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You've definately got DDR ram in that case (central notch, 184pin)!

Can't find any mobo information on emachines website but I would hazard a guess that your board probably doesn't support dual channel.

When you removed the RAM module, did you notice if any of the ram sockets were a different colour from each other? If they were all the same colour, then chances are, its single channel.

If it is single channel, then you should be able to use any size module that your system supports. Your current module is PC2100, so just make sure you get another one the same spec or a spec higher.

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey samm... thanx for the help. i knew i had ddr memory from the little sticker on the front of my computer case (:tazz:) ive been looking around the net and i realize i can only use DDR memory. (btw, all the colore are the same) so i found a 1 gig stick BUT the power (??) is different. by power (which could be the worng terminology) on my current stick is 133mhz. the "lowest" one i can find is 266. does that matter much? i think you were saying (or maybe someone else) that my computer will only run as fast as my slowest stick (is that in reference to the mhz or to the PC 2100,2700, etc?)

i just read the paragraph and im confused. so to sum up:

i can only use DDR. my current stick is PC 2100. if i get anything igher (2700, 3600...) will my comp still read it? and if it does, will it only read the slowest one (PC 2100)? and do i need to get a 133mhz stick or can i get any "power" stick (266mhz, etc..)?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The base frequency (or speed as you put it) of the RAM is indicated by the PCxxxx reference. Your current RAM is rated PC2100 which means it runs at 266MHz. So when people say the 'slowest' it makes no difference whether they are refering to the PC rating or the MHz, as the two are the same.

You said your current stick is PC2100 (ie 266MHz) but it runs at 133MHz. This is because 133MHz is the base frequency the memory runs at, it is then doubled (hence the term DDR - double data rate) to 266MHz.

FYI PC2700 runs at 333MHz (base 166MHz)
PC3200 runs at 400MHz (base 200MHz)

If you buy a RAM module that is rated at say, 333MHz, it should work in your system along side your current stick, but they will both run at the lower speed of 266MHz (133 doubled)

nervous-ferret

nervous-ferret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
wow that mkes so much more sence now and i really appreciate it samm... once i plug in my new mem stick, ill let you know how it goes.

am thinking of getting a 1 gig stick (but nothing less than 512)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good luck & let us know how it goes.