Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Silverlight 1.0 released

• Please log in to reply

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Ok, so with much fanfare, Microsoft releases Silverlight- a flash alternative. From what I can see it's all about building flash, etc. Should ordinary computer users care? Would it be a good thing to have? Why?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A worthy download.

Probably the most immediate use will be for displaying videos (think YouTube). Some major sites are already using it. You'll probably start to see it used in web design in time.

We're going to add some video tutorials here, and I'm torn whether to use Flash or Silverlight. Flash is installed in almost every browser, while Silverlight would require a download for most people. However, the results are superior with Silverlight in my opinion.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Fantastic! HD looked really great and I don't even have HD. LOL.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
whoa....the halo trailer was nuts! hehe

i think silverlight could be an advantage...especially since MS could (probably will) start pushing it out with windows updates instead of having to go to adobe to update your flash