Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RESTRICTIONS Error message

• Please log in to reply

intellisoftware

intellisoftware

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I need help with the following conditions using Internet Explorer and/or other windows

components. Here's what I'm experiencing:

I CAN launch IE with my HOME page OK. I CAN Surf, add or delete Tabs OK.
I CANNOT close IE without using Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
I CANNOT return to HOME page clicking on the home icon.
I CANNOT download anything.
I CANNOT access IE-Internet Options. I get the following error message:

RESTRICTIONS (ERROR MESSAGE) This Operation Has Been Cancelled Due to Restrictions in Effect
on This Computer. Please contact your system administrator.

I also CANNOT access PRINT, HELP CENTER, SYSTEM INFORMATION, SYSTEM RESTORE.

For example, when accessing HELP CENTER, I get the following error message:

PROGRAM ERROR: HelpCtr.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need
to restart the program.

Well, restarting gets the same error message no matter how many times I try.
These are just a few things I've come across, there may be more.
I've run all my spyware, virus checks with no problems. Re-booted numerous times.

Re-installed my registry from a backup. I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone help me with a suggestion on how to fix this problem? I would appreciate your
time in doing anything you can to help me solve this puzzling problem. In the 22 years I've
had computers, this is only the third time I've asked for help. Usually, I can figure it out
on my own. This one has me stumped!

Advertisements

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
Are you using a "corporate" computer which has Active directory group policies applied?

intellisoftware

intellisoftware

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I'm using XP Home Edition on a Dell Laptop which I've had for over two years. Everthing ran fine until yesterday morning when I encountered the conditions mentioned. I made no changes to any anything. It's like some malware came in unnoticed and made a change to something and is blocking me out from finding it. Thanks for helping.

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
Could you try downloading runscanner and post your log file here please (+ zipped .run file)

(don't delete anything using Runscanner)

intellisoftware

intellisoftware

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, attached is the .run file. I looked over the log file and did not see anything there that should not be there. The only part I was not sure of was the DLL files. As I stated before I coulod not download anything. I had to use my other computer to download the runcanner zip file then transfer it to this computer. :whistling:

Thanks for your help.

Attached File  runscanner.zip   86.93KB   47 downloads

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
intellisoftware,

I've reviewed your thread here and in the waiting room, and I really think you should post in the Malware Forum. Please read the guide at the top of the forum and follow the instructions to download and post a hijackthis log. There are viruses and malware that can prevent you from accessing parts of your system, and I really think you ought to get checked out there.

intellisoftware

intellisoftware

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

intellisoftware,

I've reviewed your thread here and in the waiting room, and I really think you should post in the Malware Forum. Please read the guide at the top of the forum and follow the instructions to download and post a hijackthis log. There are viruses and malware that can prevent you from accessing parts of your system, and I really think you ought to get checked out there.

Actually, I just fixed the problem. All I did was to un-install Internet Explorer, and re-install Internet Explorer from a new download from Microsoft. Everything works perfect now. I appreciate your interest in helping me.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for letting us know. :)