Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista security

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Everyone, I need some help with the wife's laptop. It is about 6 months old, running vista with Norton internet security. The three month free trial has run out, so nothing can be updated, so I uninstalled it, and put AVG Free on, and AVG Free Anti-Spy, and use the built in Windows firewall, first of all, is this ok?
When I check the laptops security, it says the AVG is running, and also that Norton is running ok, But I have taken it off, whats going on?
Under the security settings it says.

FIREWALL
Norton Internet security
ON

MALWARE PROTECTION
AVG ON
Windows Defender ON
Norton Internet Security ON

What have I got running, and what isn't, and what isn't that should be, and why is Norton still there?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by tanda, 05 September 2007 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tanda...

Norton is notoriously difficult to remove completely. Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to remove what remains of the program.

Once you have done this, check your firewall settings to make sure the Windows Firewall is active. AVG should also show up as the active AV program in Security Center once Norton is out of the way.

wannabe1

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Wannabe1, Thanks for the quick reply, you were spot on, all sorted now, thank you very much for your help.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Free ZoneAlarm works on Vista and it also works with AVG antivirus and AVG antispyware.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we could lend a hand. :whistling:

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Just another quick question, When the wife switches the lap top on, a message pops up, "Windows fire wall is switched off, do you want to turn it on", or words to that effect, she clicks on yes, and it comes on, but she has to do this every time she switches the laptop on, how can we get it to come on, on its own? Thanks for any replies.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can enable it in "Services" if it's been disabled. Also, go to the control panel, click on Windows Security Center, then click on Windows Firewall to make sure it's on and working

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks for the reply jacee, Found services, and the firewall is set to come on at start up, I disabled it, and clicked apply, then enabled it, and clicked apply, just to make sure, but still no good, so I have disabled it again and downloaded Zone Alarm Free, so thanks for your help.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
tanda, I see in your signature that you have Sygate Personal firewall.....this isn't on the Vista computer, is it?

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
No, The signature is what I have on my PC, running Windows ME. On the wife's laptop, running Vista, I just took off Norton Internet security, and put on AVG Free, AVG Anti-Spy, and just put on Zone Alarm Free.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Good job! :whistling: