Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan-Spy.HTML.smitfraud.c

• Please log in to reply

Batt-Man

Batt-Man

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Dear Geeks to Go,

I'm a newbie :tazz:

I have obtained this dreaded Trojan-Spy-Stupid virus.

I think someone needs to get sued, it almost like one of these anti-adware companies is holding my computer ransom. Like this stupid IGuard. ;)

I've tried starting with your recommended steps to resolution for Malware removal, but I keep getting stuck during the first step.

I've downloaded and installed the Ad-aware SE software on my computer.

I run the program with all the settings per your instructions, with the exception of the selection "During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary" under the "Cleaning Engine" section of the "Tweak" section. This option is greyed out.

Within minutes of starting the Ad-aware scan I get a:
RunDLL32 error:
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut-down".

If I click "ok" I continue to get similar error messages and eventually my computer freezes. If I don't click o.k. the scan continues to run. When the scan finishes I'm rewarded with the knoweledge that I have some 816 objects the program considers a threat. I select all of them for deletion. Ad-aware displays a progress bar called "Deleting Selections". The bar fills up and than just sits there with nothing happening.

I feel like it's related to the above Rundll32 error, but I'm not sure.

Do I need to disable everything in the Task menu before running the Ad-aware software?

Anyone have any advice?

I'd rather donate double what IGuard would charge for ransoming my computer to this worthy cause.

Please help me!

- Erik

Advertisements

Batt-Man

Batt-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Again,

This is my work computer and I will be leaving soon. I've been using another computer for most of the day.

My greater concern is what risk I pose to other computers on our network or to our customers.

How contagious is this Trojan-Spy.HTMl.smitfraud.c virus?

Could it infect any emails I send out?

Other than the stupid blue background and the occasional pop-ups, it seems to be slowing my computer down, but it doesn't seem to stop the basic functionality.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

-Erik

Batt-Man

Batt-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Bump for Help