Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Computer slowing down

• Please log in to reply

Sarous

Sarous

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Greetings!

Near-recent history:

Several months ago my motherboard battery went bad; I successfully replaced it. Around that time, when I first booted up my computer in the morning, the machine would start but it would fail to load windows. It would stop just prior to the bottom white loading blocks. Simply shutting it back off and restarting it would start it correctly the second time. This has been fairly consistant the last few months. Sometimes it would start right, sometimes it would need the second attempt.

More recently, I have noticed that the entire boot process has been getting slower, currently it takes 5-10 minutes from cold-start to online. It also has started taking longer than it should to start Internet Explorer.

Any advise? Need any more info, just ask.

Windows XP (SP2)
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5200 (250 MB)

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey Sarous

When you cannot boot to windows, what does the error message say? I am suspecting a drive failure.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like a dying hard drive.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
There is no error message.

Normally it runs through its bios thing, goes black, the white "ticker" runs across the bottom and windows starts loading.

What this is doing is running through bios, goes black, then just sits there until you throw the power.