Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need info on how to set up wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

I'm really confused about internet access in a home with with laptops only. Here is the question. Can you have wireless service without having a desktop? My son and his two roomates all have laptops. One is a Mac and the other two are PCs. Cable company is coming in two days and I am not sure what equipment I need to ensure that they all connect. My understanding is that I only need to purchase a wireless router. Will I need anything else? If I want to avoid spending anymore money can I disconnect my linksys router on my home pc? Is it a problem to have 3 laptops running off of one router. I think my router included a booster.

Thanks for your help,

Sheal

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can use your one wireless (not wired) router to connect all of your PCs and laptops. The laptops will need wireless pcmcia cards installed. The wireless router will be connected to the cable modem with a splitter to run cable to TV(s). As long as the routers are for compatible ranges and modes, you should be good to go. Please set up the security on your router and do not use the default passwords.

Ron

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ron,

Thanks for the fast response. All three boys had wireless access to the schools internet while on campus last year. That would mean that they all have a card installed, right? I'm thinking of buying another Linksys Wireless-G with speedbooster. It has a transfer rate of 54 Mbps. Does this sound ok or do I need to buy a Wireless-N with 104 Mbps? Is it worth it to spend the extra money? What is the difference between the G and N?

Here is another stupid question. When I purchased the Linksys Wireless-G I also purchased a Compact Wireless-G adapter. It is currently plugged into the usb on the desktop. Is that where it is supposed to be or was it to have been plugged into my son's mac? I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do.

Since I do not know exactly what kind of card each laptop has do I need to worry about a potential compatibility issue?

Couple more questions. Regarding the security setup, how is this done? Also, another thing I find confusing is that the Linksys box notes the requiresment to be Windows 2000 or Ex. What is it referring to? My home pc has XP and I installed it with a minimum amount of aggravation, am I expected to run the CD on one of the laptops?

Thanks for your help,

Lori

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Wireless-N is about 15 times faster (more like 12) than Wireless-G. If you plan on bandwidth-hungry apps like high-definition video and voice over IP, then that kind of throughput would better handle it. Since you already have the Linksys Wireless-G, I would use it and upgrade only if absolutely necessary.

Since the boys have a card installed, they should be good to go once network is set up. As to the Compact Wireless-G adapter. If you do not have a wireless card installed in your PC, then this is the easy way to connect wirelessly. It is limited to data rates up to 54Mbps (5 times as fast as 802.11b). USB is slow, but an easy install if you don't feel comfortable removing your desktop's cover to install a card.

The Linksys Wireless-G should be ok for Win XP since you had no issues installing it. Don't know what model you have, but most show you in the install manual how to set up security. I would get a notebook and write down what you see on each step before making changes. Just do not use the default passwords. I would use WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) security.

Since the laptops already have wireless, you should not need to install anything from the CD. They ned to use their own wireless setup to detect the network in your home and connect to it with the right password, etc..

Ron

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Ron,

The boys were getting their installation last Friday so I decided to just buy another router rather than dis-manteling mine. They said it worked fine. I was crossing my fingers that you would say the G would be fine. :whistling:

I will try to check out my security settings.

Thanks for your clarification on the G and N systems.

Lori

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. Glad everything came together for you. Thank you for using GTG.

Ron