Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wifi setup for business

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
what is the best way to setup a secured wifi network that my customers can connect with their own laptops?
with wep you have to have a key and just don't want to have to give everyone a 26 digit number to enter. should i just disable the security mode setting on the router? and will having my own password to access router keep the network secure?

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well Wireless security is a big problem these days
I wouldnt recomend takling off the password as you are just avbout giving away free interent to anyone nearbye

What is the make of your router?
Does it support WPA-PSK or anytype of WPA as if it does this would be the best solution

reason for edit:Spelling :whistling:

Edited by ==SpuD==, 06 September 2007 - 11:22 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you have the ability to put the wireless router on a completely different segment of your network...that's completely segregated from your main network...then you could have it unsecured....with the segregation in place...then they would only have access to the internet...not your internal network

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Well Wireless security is a big problem these days
I wouldnt recomend takling off the password as you are just avbout giving away free interent to anyone nearbye

What is the make of your router?
Does it support WPA-PSK or anytype of WPA as if it does this would be the best solution

reason for edit:Spelling :whistling:

linksys wrt54g router. has support for WPA PERSONAL AND ENTERPRISE and WPA2 PERSONAL AND ENTERPRISE. I have no clue what that is. I would not take the password off the router. the laptop is the only computer on the network now. I do not have a business computer at the location, only the laptop that customers can use.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

if you have the ability to put the wireless router on a completely different segment of your network...that's completely segregated from your main network...then you could have it unsecured....with the segregation in place...then they would only have access to the internet...not your internal network

i only have one network setup and just the laptop that customers can use. i would like it if customers could bring in their own and not have to give out the network key so i am looking to have some other way to secure the network. i know the router is protected since i changed the password but is that all i need to be protected since there would be no computer at the location???

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

linksys wrt54g router. has support for WPA PERSONAL AND ENTERPRISE and WPA2 PERSONAL AND ENTERPRISE. I have no clue what that is. I would not take the password off the router. the laptop is the only computer on the network now. I do not have a business computer at the location, only the laptop that customers can use.

WPA and WPA2 are differnet forms of security

so the laptops a shared computer for any customers?
You could just leave the netwok unsecured but ont the windows firewall turn filesharing off
And if your router supports it block filesharing altogeater

EDIT:I dont mean take the logon password to change settings on the router off, i mean take of the password to connect to it

Edited by ==SpuD==, 07 September 2007 - 09:22 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...so the only thing on the "network" is a wireless router and your internet connection? will there ever be anything else hookd up to this system?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

WPA and WPA2 are differnet forms of security

so the laptops a shared computer for any customers?
You could just leave the netwok unsecured but ont the windows firewall turn filesharing off
And if your router supports it block filesharing altogeater

EDIT:I dont mean take the logon password to change settings on the router off, i mean take of the password to connect to it

laptop is only computer and will be removed in near future cuz its slow and old. so you are saying take off wep and key and turn off file sharing even tho there are no files to share? once laptop gone there will be no computer on the network.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

...so the only thing on the "network" is a wireless router and your internet connection? will there ever be anything else hookd up to this system?

yes, only wireless router and internet on the laptop which i want to remove. i don't plan on adding anything, just wanted to have internet for customer use.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok then
just turn of wep and the reason to turn off file shring (if possible) is ayone on the network will have acsess to other people on the netwok shared files which can be a securtiy issue or whatever

Hope this helped

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

ok then
just turn of wep and the reason to turn off file shring (if possible) is ayone on the network will have acsess to other people on the netwok shared files which can be a securtiy issue or whatever

hope this helped

ok. so turning off file sharing will prevent others connected to network from sharing, didn't think of that. thanks for ur help. have a nice day :whistling: