Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

remove one hd without it affecting the other

• Please log in to reply

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
So i have done this before dont quite remember how but i have one hd thats on an ide cable its 10 gigs. I also have a sata which is 160 and is my main hd with everything on it. Well for some reason my main hd wont work without the c drive which is the ten gig. I somehow installed a os on the ten gig and now my main hd wont work without the ten gig in the computer hooked up. I want to be able to just have my main hd thats it. I also have an issue with windows now the main hd wont boot windows it freezes and goes all weird where i have to put in my password than restarts itself. I can only use safemode any ideas what this might be.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Lexyluv...

What's happened is that the boot sector is on the C: drive while the operating system is on the SATA drive. The SATA won't boot without the 10 gig because that's where it's boot instructions are written.

By far the best option for you would be to back your important files up on the 10GB drive, disconnect it, and do a Clean install (including a format) on the SATA drive. Then you can reconnect the 10GB drive and it will be seen as a storage drive...with all your files on it.

This way the boot sector and the operating system will be back together as they should be.

wannabe1

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
it wont even give me the option of reformatting the sata

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it ask if you want to delete the partition?

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
it only shows me the c drive not the d which is the sata

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have the ATA drive disconnected, the SATA will automatically become the C: drive.

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i have tryed that when i first built it i did the same thing but i dont remember how i undid it

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
the other problem i also have is that my windows that i regularly use is all messed up now it gets to the signin screen sometimes than it just reboots

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I unhooked the ide drive and it now says ntldr missing i had an ntldr disk that allowed me to boot to safemode but it wont start up normally if i just start it up it says ntldr missing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have your XP installation cd?

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
sure do i tried to do the copy ntldr file thing and all that but it didnt work cause there isnt one on my disk lol

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Lexyluv

Lexyluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
it says it doesnt see a hd which is precisely my problem the only way im even able to get into safemode is by using this ntldr disk i made than pressing f8 and choosing the first option .