Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

i need some help re-doing my whole system

• Please log in to reply

um_hi

um_hi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey,
i got the disks to re-do my whole computer but im not quite sure how to? it comes up with these commands that i need to put in could someone please tell me all the commands step by step on how to do this. :tazz: that would be really really helpful thanks very much!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First what is your current situation....are there any files on your computer you want to save, or are you interested in starting fresh as a new born baby?

um_hi

um_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yea i got everything saved that i need to have saved that was the first thing i did
i just need to know all the commands to accomplish this task i have. thank you for everyones help who helps me with this!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Create a win98*admin boot disk from inside windows. In win98, you go to control panel->add/remove programs->create startup disk tab. Can't remember if that is the same in ME as I stopped using it ages ago when I realised what a piece of crap it was! If the finished boot disk doesn't conatin a copy of format.com, then copy this file from C:\windows\command to the floppy disk.

Reboot the system & enter the bios. Check that the boot order is set to boot from floppy first. Also disables any antivirus/bootsector protection that may be enabled in there.

Boot from the floppy & at the command prompt, type :
FORMAT C:/S

When thats done, insert the OS CD, change to the CD drive (usually by typing D: and <enter>)
type SETUP <ENTER>
and away you go

um_hi

um_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i will go and try that thank you very much i will reply to tell u guys how everything is running thanks a lot :tazz: !

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
One more quick thing, if you don't already have all the drivers you will require for the hardware (eg video card, sound card, modem, motherboard etc), I suggest you download them first before doing this.

Otherwise, at least make a detailed note of exactly what hardware you have in the system so you can get the drivers at a later date if necessary. Also make a note of your internet settings so you can setup your internet connection afterwards with less hassle

um_hi

um_hi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i did all that but when i typed in setup it says that "CDR101 Not ready reading drive E" does that mean its not reading my cd rom? i have a different one i can put in should i do that?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
yes or at least clean the CD first & try again