Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"my computer" icon lagging to display harddrives, etc

• Please log in to reply

moshilooooo

moshilooooo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
help! so i recently my computer has been getting a LOT of pop ups - so i figured it must have been infected with either a virus, spyware, adware, etc. so i ran a virus scan using avast, but that didnt stop the pop ups. so i downloaded norton security scan and spyware doctor from google (they offer a bunch of free software) and scanned my computer. and sure enough, there was a bunch of files infected. i think i either deleted or quarantined all the files that the scans said was infected. but anyways, i still have a bunch of pop ups, not as much, but still a bunch if i use internet explorer. so i've been using mozilla firefox, which has been working wonderfully. but the real problem is, every time i try to open the "my computer" icon from my desktop, it takes FOREVER to display my hard drives, etc. like literally 5-10 minutes. and when it does show, it takes forever to go from one file to the next. also, every time i try to shut down, it takes forever just to display the shut down button. please help! i have no idea whats wrong with my computer!!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi moshilooooo...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

Click Here to start a new topic and paste your log.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1