Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Spooler problem Newbie

• Please log in to reply

peacerosetx

peacerosetx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Guys hope all out there are well! Glad to be here. Am a newbie at this and feel frustrated because can't solve this problem. Appreciate your time...what it is... on my windows 2000 pro decided to use the fax form Outlook and initialized it (have never used it in years). Problem now is that my printer does not work can't add a new one, get the following error message

get the error message "printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources The Print Subsytem is unavailable"

Went to services to start the print spooler, even did a manual from Run, printer spool would always start but as soon as I go back to add a printer then it stops again. Someone said to disable the fax so I removed it from the Outlook mail I Think this is the problem how do i remove it totally! Somehow when I start Outlook it seems to try to load the Symantec WinFax again and tries to walk me through which is what I don't want since this produces the problem.

The Microsoft web states the problem of the print spooler not working becuase of the fax as follows QUOTE:

"This behavior occurs because Office 2000 Setup stops the print spooler at certain points during the installation process. When the fax driver for Microsoft Outlook 2000 is installed, the spooler is stopped and may not be restarted."

I've done microsofts steps for different ways to remove. They have an option to remove it from registry...don't want to mess things up there feel scarred so need another way to resolve this any ideas?.

I can sometimes get the printer spool to stay on start but still get the error message when I try to add a printer that "printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources The Print Subsytem is unavailable"

Tried it now and it will not stay on start after I try to add a printer it will stop again! Thanks all :whistling:

Peace,

trusting in the Lord...

Edited by peacerosetx, 06 September 2007 - 03:43 AM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
do you get a 1068 error message as well or just what you descrbed? what type of printer?,lexmark? dell? the print subsystem can be reinstalled if it comes to that...lets hope not :help: follow these steps, its tedious but it should solve this. first of all make sure there is no half installed/uninstalled printer services hanging around. to check this..... a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
b. Expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
c. In the right pane, right-click( name of printer once installed)Server, and then click Properties.
d. On the General tab, in the Startup type list, click Disabled.
e. Under Service status, click Stop, and then click OK.
f. Right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Start (if it is stopped).
g. Quit Computer Management. if this doesnt resolve your issue then the fun part begins :blink: start your pc in safe mode. and then delete all the files and the folders in the following two folders (where C: is the drive where you have Windows XP installed): • C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
• C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86
View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys: • Drivers
• Print Processors If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above follow these steps: a. On the File menu, click Export.
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key, and then click Save--for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey.You can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any issues after you complete this procedure. Delete all the subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion Locate and then expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers The registry entries for the printer drivers that are installed on the computer are stored in the Version-x subkey or subkeys, where x is a number (typically 2 or 3). Expand the Version-x subkey or subkeys, and then delete the printer driver entries. To do this, right-click each printer driver subkey, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion. Locate and then expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors: • BJ Language Monitor
• Local Port
• PJL Language Monitor
• Standard TCP/IP Port
• USB Monitor
If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above follow these steps: a. On the File menu, click Export.
b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type MonitorsRegkey, and then click Save. You can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any issues after you complete this procedure.
c. Delete all the subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion. If you have a local printer attached, disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.
13. Verify that the Print Spooler service is running. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
b. Expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.
c. In the right pane, right-click the Print Spooler service, and then click Start (if it is stopped).
d. Quit Computer Management. If you have a local printer attached, reconnect the printer cable to the computer, add the printer that you want, and then try to print a test page. add your printer, follow these steps: Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.Click Add a printer.The Add Printer Wizard starts.
Follow the instructions in the Add Printer Wizard to install the printer that you want good luck... :whistling:

peacerosetx

peacerosetx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Krmoo thank you for your help :whistling: I am going to try to uninstall my windows 2000 office using add/remove then try to re-install it. Since as I've been tinkering with things part of the Office does not work at all like Excel...

If this fix doesn't work I'll have to work through your very generous post I'll let you know what happens.

Peace.

trusting in the Lord...

peacerosetx

peacerosetx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok krmoo followed all of your steps but the part where I have to start in safe mode, I feel too scarred to remove files. Besides it is strange when I watched a DVD on my computer my printer worked fine. SO for the past week or so, I simply put a DVD into the computer and all my printer files appeared and the printer worked fine. Problem is it stopped doing this and I'm back to the old problem. :whistling: Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Peace,

trusting in the Lord...