Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Outlook 2003 (mail)

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Using Outlook 2003. (on Windows XP Pro).
I am trying to customize the toolbars (small icons) at the top of New Mail.
On Tools, i go to Customize. When that box comes up, I can drag away any of the icons that I do not want.
If I send the mail, and then slickj on New Mail, the same customized format (toollbars & icons) comes up.
but if I exit Outlook, and then open the program agian, New Mail reverts to the default and all my customizations are lost.
Any solutions?

It only happens in New Mail. Other cusomtizations (on sent itmes, etc et c) all stay put.

Thanks
Paul

Edited by paulsiam, 06 September 2007 - 05:11 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi paulsiam.

Can you take a screen shot of your "new mail" screen so we can see exactly what you have and don't have? Is it possible that you've added icons to a toolbar that is partially hidden after you close the customize dialog? That happened on mine during testing. Both toolbars were on the same line. I moved Formatting to the second line and there were the icons I'd added to Standard.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thank you for the answer. I will take the screen shot and get back to you.

I think geeks to go is a great service.

Thanks
Paul

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
my first upload is the default New Mail whenever I open Outlook 2003 and go to new mail.
my second upload is what I have changed in the new mail format for the icons.
As long as I do not exit Outlook, these changes remain each time I open to compose new mail.
But if I exit Outlook, and then start it again, the New Mail goes back to the default.

Even if I set "Customize>Options>"Always show Standard & Format on two rows" -- it will only stay as long as I do not exit Outlook.

Any suggesitons?
Thanks
Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_003.jpg
  • ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Edited by paulsiam, 08 September 2007 - 07:27 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Strange. Try a Detect and Repair with both options checked. In Outlook, click the Help menu, Detect and Repair, tick both options. You may need your Office disk to complete it.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
tried the Detect & Repair with both options ticked.
Same as before.
Any other avenues to pursue?
Thanks
Paul

Edited by paulsiam, 09 September 2007 - 07:42 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let's try creating a new Mail Profile.

Close Outlook. Click Start, Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles. If you use Category View in Control Panel, click User Accounts, Mail, Show Profiles.

On the General tab, click Add to create a new e-email profile. Give the new profile a name, then click next until you get to the Server Type screen. Check your e-mail type. Fill in all your e-mail account settings. When you get back to the General tab, change Outlook's start-up option to "Prompt for a profile to be used". This will ensure you start with the new profile when you re-open Outlook. If you're not prompted, reboot and then open Outlook.

Do you have the same behavior with the new mail profile?