Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Apple Slashes IPhone Prices

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
AP Story

Now with a $200 price cut, is the IPhone worth it?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they can cut the price...but it's still made by apple....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Haha, how true. I do not support Apple but I was curious as to how many people are more willing to get one now that the price is dropping.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I got my current smartphone with most of the same features for $50 after rebate. They still have a long way to drop. That and they still only "Legally" work with one cell provider.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,805 posts
  • MVP
I think the fact that they cut the price that much so soon after launch just proves that it was ridiculously over-priced to begin with.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

I think the fact that they cut the price that much so soon after launch just proves that it was ridiculously over-priced to begin with.

That was my first thought when I heard this. How much is the markup on an item that after 10 weeks you can drop the price by a third.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Apple apologises and offers $100 refund to early iPhone customers

Following the furore over the $200 price cut for the iPhone that has left early adopters angry, Apple has made the decision to refund early iPhone purchasers with $100.

This news is in contrast from Steve Jobs' recent comments to USA Today, who yesterday asked Jobs if refunds will be forthcoming for people that paid the full price for the iPhone, to which Steve Jobs replied:

"That's technology. If they bought it this morning, they should go back to where they bought it and talk to them. If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology."

http://uk.news.yahoo...-57dbc65_1.html

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
A note here, the 100$ isn't even in cash, it's a store credit to buy more overpriced apple products. I think the iphone was and still is over priced, if the consumer base agrees, then no one buys which I'm sure is the reason for the price drop. Not the drop in production costs like apple is claiming. Early adapters usually pay an arm and a leg for the technology, look at blu-ray and HD-DVD, in many cases it's half the price of what we saw from last year. I'm personally very surprised that apple is even giving the cash credit, but this just shows how wide apples margins are for thier products.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 September 2007 - 02:07 PM.