Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems after system restore

• Please log in to reply

iADAM!

iADAM!

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Another user of my computer recently restored my PC, however this has caused a problem for just one user account, mine.

It is acting very oddly, some things are small and not too annoying, but others are not.

Internet Explorer opens and prompts me to check for a new MSN toolbar or something, when i try to download it nothing happens and it then says it cannot be downloaded. This is the same with everything i try to download now. Some programs just wont open, Windows Live Messenger and Recycle Bin to name just two. This is the main problem, not being able to open programs i use almost ever time i log in.

There is also a problem with the desk top, i am not able to change the background or the screen saver, my PC tells me the job is done, but it clearly isnt as my desktop background is always a solid blue colour now.

Also, the @ sign and " have swapped themselves around on the keyboard, very odd, and the top bar on all programs is now very small.

I know there are a few problems, but if anyone can help me in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to create a new user account and see how it works. If it works well move your data to the new account and delete the old one as described in Control Panel > User Account > Learn how to remove your own account.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

iADAM!

iADAM!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts