Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remote Viewing

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I use two methods to remotely control my servers. Im XP SP2 they are Server 2003 SP2. I use Remote Desktop for most everything but I also use UltraVNC if I need to look at the desktop, but its so slow its almost useless.

My question is I am transferring a 300GB folder and want to know when its done. Right now the only way to do that is to walk down there, bah, or to use VNC, eh.

Out of curiosity is there another way I can tell when its done?

Not a critical issue just wondering if anyone knows of something I am missing.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
why wouldn't you know when the file is done transfering with RDP? or did you initiate the transfer locally?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

why wouldn't you know when the file is done transfering with RDP? or did you initiate the transfer locally?

Locally, because it was usb so I was next to the server anyways.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
AH...then yeah...vnc would be the way to watch that...but that shouldn't slow down the file transfer at all

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I didnt think it would but under normal conditions VNC is dirt slow.