Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
For some time, my computer has been jamming on the 'Windows is shutting down...' Screen.

Is there anything that I can do about this? Could it be some form of spy/malware preventing it from shutting down?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what antivirus software do you use?
what antimalware/antispyware software are you using?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

what antivirus software do you use?
what antimalware/antispyware software are you using?

Nice to see you're still here! (I was inactive for a bit :whistling:)
  • I run AVG Free Edition (The latest)
  • I also use Adaware SE Pro 2007
  • I also run CCleaner regularly as it speeds my pathetically slow computer up a little.

Edited by tiroshii, 06 September 2007 - 11:19 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you see if avg is set to run a scan at shutdown ( i was expecting norton...it's the common culprit)

i don't know if adaware (which isn't really antispyware) has a scan at shutdown ability...but check it and see

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

can you see if avg is set to run a scan at shutdown ( i was expecting norton...it's the common culprit)

i don't know if adaware (which isn't really antispyware) has a scan at shutdown ability...but check it and see

Since when is it not Anti-Spyware? It's what Computer Shopper Magazine classed as the best Anti-Spyware package.. :whistling:

I will Check AVG And Adaware and get back to you in a few minutes.

Edit: Neither have an auto scan set up.

Edited by tiroshii, 06 September 2007 - 11:26 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Why is your computer " pathetically slow"? Is it an old one? Is it overloaded to it's capacity?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Why is your computer " pathetically slow"? Is it an old one? Is it overloaded to it's capacity?

It's around 8 years old and mostr of the hardware is worn out (i.e the DVD player does not run fast enough to play DVD's and the fan's are noisy) and is pretty bunged up. I am currently saving up for a new one.

My current is 1.4Ghz with 512 Gb RAM however it runs slower than my Dad's shuttle running with the same processor and 256 Gb RAM. It will also not run games such as Counter-Strike:Source which have a minimum system requirement of half what mine is.

Edited by tiroshii, 06 September 2007 - 12:44 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
press start then run then type "shutdown -s -f -t 05" (without the quotes)...does the machine shutdown?

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

press start then run then type "shutdown -s -f -t 05" (without the quotes)...does the machine shutdown?

I will close all my programs and save my work and try it. I will post back in a few minutes.

What does the command do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
forces a shutdown after a 5 second wait...

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Just tried the command, nothing changed form normal.

One thing I remember I forgot to add, these problems started not long after I did a Registry cleanup with CCleaner. Could this have caused it?

Edited by tiroshii, 06 September 2007 - 01:30 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible...

so the shutdown command did nothing?

try doing start then run then type "cmd" (without the quotes) then type the shutdown command from above and see if it gives you an error message

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

it's possible...

so the shutdown command did nothing?

try doing start then run then type "cmd" (without the quotes) then type the shutdown command from above and see if it gives you an error message

Okay I will try that, but I will do it later because I have some work I need to do for College first.

The shutdown command did not do nothing, it started the shutdown procedure, as the normal shutdown command does, however it will go no further than 'Windows is shutting down...'

Thanks a lot for your time so far by the way. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh..ok if it actually initiated the shutdown then you don't have to do that second deal

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

oh..ok if it actually initiated the shutdown then you don't have to do that second deal

Okay.. So, any idea as to what could be happening? I'm not that desperate to get it fixed, as I said I am saving up for a new PC as we speak. But in the meantime it can be a little annoying.

Edited by tiroshii, 06 September 2007 - 01:30 PM.