Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mp3 tag info missing from explorer.

• Please log in to reply

kallita

kallita

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all. First timer here with a problem that has been bothering me for quite some time now.
Any help that might be offered would be greatly appreciated.
When I open windows explorer to a folder with music in it, and have it in details mode, none of the tag info is being shown. Yes the proper colums are there. Yes the files do have the tags in the file. yes they can be read with winamp, tag and rename, and everything else I have tried. For some reason windows explorer will not show the tags.... :whistling:
Although I can work around this<and have done so for about a year now>it would be more convenient to have this working. I have been looking for some sort of answer as to why it is happening for a while now with no results.
If you have any more questions please ask.
Thanks for your time and any help you may offer.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is gonna sound silly...but...what if you move some of the music files to the "my music" folder in "my documents"(i wouldn't move all of them)...do the tags show up there?

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

this is gonna sound silly...but...what if you move some of the music files to the "my music" folder in "my documents"(i wouldn't move all of them)...do the tags show up there?

At this point in solving it nothing sounds silly. :whistling:
I recreated the "my music" folder as it was deleted a long time ago since I don't use it.
Copied music into the directory , and set it up to show the tags of artist and album..... which did not show.
still nothing. When I click the colum to "arrange" the tags in order of artist etc it does take a second like it is trying to read them but nothing shows up, and no new arrangement is made.
thanks.
kallita

Goattee

Goattee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having precisely the same problem and I have tried several things-- all without success:

- Used Google to search on various keywords and phrases
- Examined the group policy editor for relevant settings
- Searched for relevant registry keys

This seems to be a defect in the OS somewhere and I would love to know the answer too.

Goattee

Goattee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Kallita, I just found the answer by using a technique recommended elsewhere here for a video problem. But sure enough it works.

The problem in my case is that I was missing on this computer the following file:

C:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll

I copied the file from another computer to mine. (You could get it from a friend or elsewhere and copy it to a floppy or a thumb drive.)

Put it in C:\windows\system32.

Then open a "DOS prompt:"
Start/Run
Type in cmd.exe.
Click on OK button.
(a window will open.)
Type in cd \windows\system32.
Press enter.
(the prompt will show that you have moved into that new folder.)
Now type regsvr32 shmedia.dll.
(the last step "registers" the DLL with Windows so that it knows to use it when you are looking at detail view and there are media files.)

It takes moments to make this work.

Let me know how it works out for you!

kallita

kallita

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Kallita, I just found the answer by using a technique recommended elsewhere here for a video problem. But sure enough it works.

The problem in my case is that I was missing on this computer the following file:

C:\windows\system32\shmedia.dll

Let me know how it works out for you!

:blink:
thanks for the help goatee! It does seem to have worked. :whistling:

To sum it all up:
I did what you suggested with one minor alteration.
I already had a copy of the shmedia.dll file in the system32 folder so i grabbed the copy that was in the service pack files and overwrote it. As they were different sizes I would suspect that the original one was corrupted at some time in the past. I then tested the change in one of my music folders and sure enough it seems to have worked.
would you be able to put up a reference or link to the video problem that had this solution so i have it in my brain for future reference?
Thanks for the help once again
And to the site masters- thanks for the site!... now that I know it is here I will be back to check out things in the future.
kallita

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad everything worked out for you both! :whistling:

mithra_v

mithra_v

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Goattee

I also bothered about this problem for weeks and googled but found no correct solution at last I found this...
THANKS DEAR.. :) :)