Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multihoming router lacks ip address's

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I just looked at a setup in a large house where they have 4 cable modems connected to a Multi-Homing Broadband Router. The router is then connected to a 35 port switch. The switch is then connected individually to each room in the house.

The internet connection comes and goes. It is never on for more than a couple minutes. When I checked the config software on the router, it shows a table with the 4 WAN's. The first and fourth port list Dynamic IP address connected and then lists the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, mac address, and primary dns. The second and third WAN port say Dynamic IP address disconnected.

Now the funny thing is that if I move around the RJ-45 cables in the back of the router; for example I switch WAN 1 and 2, I expected to see that WAN 2 came online and WAN 1 went offline. Instead, WAN 1 and 2 were online and WAN 4 went offline.

This continues without any rhyme or reason. Sometimes 1 port is online, sometimes 2. The cable modems are all from the same provider and are all working perfectly.

Question is, does that router need to have a dynamic IP address for each router online at the same time?

Advertisements

sgtfuzz

sgtfuzz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all are you useing a switch that can do VLAN. If so i would use VLAN to keep your connections seprate. With all 4 of the cable modems are they all on the same spliter if so I would have a seprate cable ran for each one. For each router I would hardcode a LAN address for each one and for each computer. If its still droping out at that time then connect the computer directly to test to see if it still drops out if so then i would contact your cable provider. If your looking for reliabilty look into getting a T3 or DS3 connection.