Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cookies problem

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Greetings to all!

It has came to my concern when I had problems not only on one forum but two. 1 at phpbb.acclaim.com/2moons and another at 110mb.com. At phpbb.acclaim.com/2moons, everytime after I log in and load the forums up, they asked for me to relog in. That happens occasionally and can be solved easily by restarting my browser. Such a hassle but it works. And most of the time at phpbb.acclaim.com/2moons, they always bring me to a page that tells me to set my permissions for cookies to allow all and such. I've added the address to the allow list, and I've set the cookie settings to allow all. They still tell me that I've yet to set my cookie settings. So much so I had to download FireFox and stop using Internet Explorer. When I use FireFox, the error I get is the occasional one I explained before this.

At 110mb, they just simply tell me that my session has expired when I just logged in 15 seconds ago and navigated to my files manager page. Just before entering they'll tell me that.

Well I get these problem only when I use my laptop, which runs on Windows Vista. But on my desktop, I don't encounter such problems. That's why I posted in this forum. I figured it has something got to do with the settings on Vista or just simply the incompatibility.

I'd like to see what I can do to stop all these problems.

Please enlighten me!

Regards,
Jay

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You might try the 'work around'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935778

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Thanks Jacee! Problem solved! :whistling:

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome :blink:

BTW... your avatar scares me, hope no one else feels that way :whistling:

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I'm having some difficulties now.

Everytime I visit a forum that I never had any problems with the cookies; the session ends as soon as I close it's tab.

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Ok its really getting out of hand. My laptop does not keep me logged in like how my desktop does.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. To enable this hotfix, follow these steps.Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see the product documentation to complete these steps.

What are the situations when things go wrong? Any precautions to take? What should I do to change/remove the entry in the registry made by myself with your directions?

Edited by JayBern, 19 October 2007 - 03:14 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Look at the link I provided again...did you follow all the instructions, including?

Important :This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

These were not my directions. I just posted the link. :)

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Those were Microsoft's instructions. What does this hotfix do anyway?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Download CookieWall:
http://www.analogx.c...work/cookie.htm

When you log into a forum, a message should pop up with the name of the forum and something like this "member_ID" on it...click to save. then right click on the cookie icon in your tasktray, select add/remove....if you want to keep it, press okay.

You can also save cookies temporarily and delete some tracking cookies.
Look at 'configure' to set it up.