Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find video card name and manufacture

• Please log in to reply

kirny1

kirny1

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I'm having a problem with playing a game on my pc and I was advised to update the video card. How do I find out the kind of video card that I have? My system is, System Manufacturer - VIA Technologies, Inc. System model is - KM266A-8237. System type is - X86-based pc. Processor- x86 Family 6 model 8 Stepping 0 Authentic AMD ~1350 Mhz. BIOS Version/date Phoenix Tedhnologies, LTD 6.00 PG. SMBIOS Version 2.2. Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB. Available Physical Memory 61.00 MB. Total virtual mEMORY 2.00 GB. Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB.

I don't know if this will help but that's all the info I know how to get. Hope it's enough. Kirny1

Advertisements

sgtfuzz

sgtfuzz

• Pip
  • 8 posts
An easy way to check this is Right click on my computer, click on the hardware tab, click on device manager, you will see a list of devices connected to your pc you are looking for the one called Display Adapters, this will have the current video card connected to your pc if you right click on your display adapter click properites this should give you all the information you are looking for on your video card.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi kirny1. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

You can download Belarc Adviser here or Everest Home Edition here. Both can give you a report of the hardware you have on your PC.

If need additional assistance, please post back.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I ran Belarc Advisor and where it says Display--- says none detected. I can't find what I'm looking for. The Belarc lists the following, Processor Drives controllers bus Adapters System Mode Main Circuit Board Memory Modules Local Drive Volumes Network Drives Printers Displays (none detected) multimedia

Edited by kirny1, 07 September 2007 - 03:36 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hhmm.

Let's check Device Manager then. Right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Look for a category called Display Adapters and expand it. What's listed there? Do you see a yellow or red symbol (possibly a ? or !) over anything?

Please look at the back of your computer where the monitor cable plugs in. Does it plug in to the computer in the same area as the keyboard, mouse, printer, and USB ports, or does it plug in to it's own card slot?

Do you have any disks that might have come with your system when you purchased it? Do you have your Windows installation disk?

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I ran Belarc Advisor and where it says Display--- says none detected. I can't find what I'm looking for. The Belarc lists the following, Processor Drives controllers bus Adapters System Mode Main Circuit Board Memory Modules Local Drive Volumes Network Drives Printers Displays (none detected) multimedia

Hhmm.

Let's check Device Manager then. Right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Look for a category called Display Adapters and expand it. What's listed there? Do you see a yellow or red symbol (possibly a ? or !) over anything?

Please look at the back of your computer where the monitor cable plugs in. Does it plug in to the computer in the same area as the keyboard, mouse, printer, and USB ports, or does it plug in to it's own card slot?

Do you have any disks that might have come with your system when you purchased it? Do you have your Windows installation disk?

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND, IN THE DEVISE MANAGER THERE IS A YELLOW QUESTION MARK . IT SAYS VIDEO CONTROLLER(VGA COMPATIBLE) . IN THE BACK OF MY TOWER EVERYTHING GOES IN THE SAME AREA BUT THE SPEAKERS. I DO HAVE MY WINDOWS XP DISK.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like your graphics is integrated onto the motherboard. From this link, it looks like you should have S3 ProSavageDDR integrated graphics. You can download the driver here.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I did download the s3graphics and when I tried to install it, I got a message as follows, setup was unable to complete the installation. Check the progress log in your windows directory for more details. Now mind you, I don't have a clue where the windows directory is. I think I might have to abort this whole thing. I just don't have enough knowledge to do what I'm being asked. Kirny1

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Kirny1. I apologize for the delay.

Did you get this driver installed?

Advertisements

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
No, I tried but like I said what the message was, It wouldn't load for me. No need to apologize. I don't even know if I have a video card anyway. I think I do because I can play some games but maybe they are small enough and don't need a video card. I just don't know

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm going to try to get some additional assistance from our hardware experts. I don't know if any of them will be online before tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience. We'll try to get you fixed up :whistling:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Run Everest as it is better than Belarc. The link has already been provided to you.

I need the make and model of the motherboard and Everest may give the exact integrated graphics card.

or, just try THIS DRIVER
Murray

Edited by Murray S., 16 September 2007 - 10:55 PM.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Murry S. I tried this driver and when I got it downloaded and went to start the setup for the SiS VGA Utilities, this is the error I got, The system cannot detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the setup program. It seems the more I get into this the more confused I get. Kirny1

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem. That was just one of a couple revision drivers they had.

Run Everest and post the motherboard and graphics card info.

Murray