Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find video card name and manufacture

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you ever get and install any ram...

Advertisements

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes I did. I got two of them just as you suggested. Put them in as you said and all it did was make my pc faster and that's a good thing but I still get the error when I try to install the S3G ProSavage DDR

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say your chipset is KM266A-8237..but at the VIA site they don't list it at all..
you could try... How to ID your chipset and motherboard using SiSoft Sandra here...instructions are at the link

or try using windows xp update...when you get there use the CUSTOM install option..NOT the express...when its done its thing ..look on the left side of the page...click on hardware ...put checkmarks in any it says there are updates for...then click on install...you will have to reboot after its done installing...try playing your games...the first one should be no problem to play very low resources required...the flight sim game I could not find the system requirements for...

Edited by happyrck, 17 October 2007 - 05:11 PM.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I did everything on the xp update. Then Installed the Marine Sharpshooter and got the same old message that "Can't set D3D Emulation Mode". So, back to square one.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
last try...go here and download the 2 drivers that I have put black lines around...try the 4-in-one drivers first ...you will need this one if you add a AGP video card anyway..after you unzip the download open the folder and click on setup.exe....try playing your games...no joy install the video drivers again ( the second file you downloaded)...no joy

if these drivers fail to get your games working you will have to get a AGP video card..
best low end card I could find here...

Edited by happyrck, 18 October 2007 - 08:19 AM.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Down loads didn't make any difference. I ordered Radeon 9600 Pro. Do you think that when this gets installed that the D3D Emulation Mode will get set?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep..

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I just got the new Radeon 9600 pro. It's asking me to remove the exsisting card. Did I have one or was it part of the MB? Everest says that for display I have a VIA/s3 unichrome video adapter and 2d accelerator. Do I get rid of these two things? Also, Does the chipset in the MB have to be removed? I'm just afraid that if I put this new card in I'll screw something up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in your bios and disable the onboard video..unplug power from wall...after you put in the new card plug your monitor into the connector on the new card ...plug in and reboot ...install the drivers that came on the cd with the card

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Here I go again! I don't know how to get into the bios and disable the on board video.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you probably don't need to go into the bios at all...when you connect your monitor to the card during the post your bios will "see" the new hardware ...should also "see " nothing is connected to the onboard video...

Edited by happyrck, 25 October 2007 - 06:58 AM.

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I found the slot for the video card so I installed it. connected the monitor to the video card slot and when I turned the pc back on, I got a no signal on my monitor. So I took it back out and hooked it back the way it was so I can find out what the heck to do now? It did say in the instructions to install the card that if I have an on board graphics capability, disable it on the motherboard by referring to your computer documentation. Don't know how to do that either. All I know is that when I put the card in, I didn't get a signal to the monitor

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
usually by pressing the delete key about once per second as soon as you press the power button..then get the manual and rear how to disable the onboard video

you can get your mobo manual here..it will tell you how to do it..its in blue right below M7VIG (Pro)

kirny1

kirny1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Just wanted to let you know that I did install the video card and could not get it to work. I had to get a tech to look at my pc and he said that I should have gotten a 2DDR and not a DDR2. I don't know what the heck that is but again, He went through the whole pc and found that some of the video card was not activated so he did I think a download or activation. It runs like a champ.

I just want to thank you all for all the help. I did learn a few things. So I guess I can close this out however I have to do that. I'm still a dummy when it comes to this stuff but getting a little better. Thanks a bunch

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
interesting...he said you had the wrong RAM installed?...in post 47 you said you pc was faster after installing the RAM

DDR2 would not even plug into your board..

anyway glad you got it working... :)