Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell and Hibernation

• Please log in to reply

Ewolf298

Ewolf298

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a friend that has called me to help with her computer. She has a dell dimension, windows xp home. Not sure as to what antivirus she is running now but I do know she has one. Any help will be appreciated.

Ewolf

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Ewolf298! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please explain the issue you have. You haven't really given us much to go on :whistling:

Ewolf298

Ewolf298

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I know info is limited, but it is a friends computer. She told me that she shut it down night before last and when she got up yesterday and turned it on and it goes to the log on name place. Then once it tries to come up it stops on the back drop with none of the desktop options available. I can get to the internet by using the taskmanger, but I never could get to a system restore or anything that is on hard drive. Hard drive does not come out of hibernation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ewolf

P.S. Hi all!

Edited by Ewolf298, 07 September 2007 - 01:29 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Please confirm the model of the computer.

2. Can you get into control panel to turn off hibernation?

3. Once the desktop comes up, right click, highlight Arrange Icons By and ensure "Show dekstop icons" is checked. Was it already checked?

4. Confirm whether this problem just started or has been happening for a period of time. If it just started, what happened with the system just prior? Did she download/install/uninstall anything? Visit any unusual places on the internet?

5. Which Antivirus software is installed? Is it updated and are scans run regularly?

Ewolf298

Ewolf298

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
On the problem with the Dell my friend was having, I couldn't get to control panel and system restore wouldn't work either. However: I was able to use her rescue disk and treat it as an upgrade and reset the hard drive. I also went into power options and reset it so it wouldn't go into hibernation again. Thanks for the help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for the update :whistling: