Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word Document

• Please log in to reply

Al frae Fife

Al frae Fife

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have two Word Documents which now have a prefix that will not allow them to open, as follows,
~$E and ~$la

I have tried opening the docs with various programmes but have had no success. When opening on Word
this message appears; "Microsoft Word can't import the specified format. This feature is not currently installed.
Would you like to install it now ?"

As i don't understand the problem i have not taken up the installation offer, i would be obliged if someone would
please advise me on how to deal with the matter.

Thanks to all who may reply,
Al.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you said prefix.....did you mean extension? a prefix is something that comes at the BEGINNING...an extension comes at THE END

are these documents that you know what they are? are they something y ou saved and could open before but now you can't? or are they something that's just shown up and you're trying to see what they are?

open my computer, click "tools" then "folder options" then the "view tab", scroll down to the "hidden files" section...is the box for "show hidden files" ticked? or the one for "do not show hidden files"? if the "show hidden files" box is checked...then check the "do not show hidden files one" press apply then ok....do you still see the word documents in question?

Al frae Fife

Al frae Fife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you dsenette for your swift reply.

Definitely a prefix that had somehow become inserted before the title of two known documents both typed and saved by myself.
On receipt of your advice i returned to My Documents to see if the situation was still the same and found that the
prefix's had now disappeared from the docs in question. I have no idea why as i had not attempted to open them after sending my plea for help. The folder options are ticked to show all hidden files and folders and i have left as is.

Hopefully this incident will not recur and as i can now read all my docs i will leave well alone.

Thank you again,
Al.