Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system built, but wont start

• Please log in to reply

steste1122

steste1122

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, got all the parts put them together:

Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard, ThermalTake Lanbox Lite, Asus DVD drive, AMD 6000 proc., 2x 1gig Geil 800 DDR2 ram, Raptor X HD, and 700w Raidmax PS.

Put together, press power button, i get the single beep saying all is good, it recognizes the amount of memory i got, DVD drive, and HD. Moves on and prepares to install Windows Vista. Before it can get halfway through loading (but not installing) the system shuts down (total time on about 35-55 seconds). Press power button again and it comes on for about 3 seconds and shuts down. Wait 30 minutes and try again and it will do what it did the first time. I tried reconnecting everything, making sure connectors are snug at least 5 times. Also, i took the heat sink off thinking it might be overheating (im using the stock one for now), cleaned off thermal compound on there, and reaplied Arctic Silver compound. Still gives same problem. All fans in the case are working, its getting plenty of power, the lights are coming on, everything appears to be working fine. The only thing I can think of that might possibly be causing trouble is that my memory is 1.9-2.5v, and the board recommends only using 1.8v. On the reviews this board got on newegg others used the same memory and worked, so im not sure if it is the problem. Also, if i just let it run in bios it turns off after 35-55 seconds as well, its not just when trying to install.

Anybody got any ideas?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

The only thing I can think of that might possibly be causing trouble is that my memory is 1.9-2.5v, and the board recommends only using 1.8v.

Try setting the voltage to your memory to 1.8v in the BIOS. I believe the memory is your issue. If you can get some other sticks to test out in your machine that would be ideal.