Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't find text files

• Please log in to reply

boydphoto

boydphoto

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i have xp media edition. i have a lot of text files on various drives in various folders. i have tried going to search and looking for *.txt, but i don't get ANY of the files i'm looking for. what can i do? thanks, boyd.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi boydphoto...

Were these files all created in notepad? If not, what program did you use to create them?

wannabe1

boydphoto

boydphoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks for replying. most of them were created in notepad. boyd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you including the * in the search criteria? If you are, try using just .txt instead. Set the criteria to search "Documents", enter .txt in the search field, click the link to "Use Advanced Search Options", click on "More Advanced Options", and select the top 3 boxes. Click "Search".

Any results that way?

boydphoto

boydphoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
thanks, wb. i did as you suggested but only a few showed up and they weren't the ones i am looking for. they all have different names and types of names so i'm stumped. i appreciate your help. boyd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What happens if you use .rtf as the search criteria?

boydphoto

boydphoto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it brought up several licenses. thanks.