Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mismatching Ram Memory

• Please log in to reply

Bushisland

Bushisland

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have Vista Home Premium 32Bit, Intel Desktop Executive Series Board DQ965GF, Intel Dual CPU 2.8 Processor 2 MB cache, Radeon X1600 512MB with Hypermemory. The motherboard supports either 4GB DDR2 at 800 MHz OR 8GB DDR2 at 667/533 MHz. I have 2 GB of Kingston DDR 667MHz now. I would like to add more. First is it possible to add 2 more GB of DDR2 800MHz in the other 2 ram slots or do I have to keep to the same brand and MHz? Second is it worth it or should I be looking at a better CPU or Video Card to up speed and performance? I am a home user with some games. Suggestions Please.

Edited by Bushisland, 09 September 2007 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
First, tell us if you aren't getting the performance that you want with what you already have.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

First, tell us if you aren't getting the performance that you want with what you already have.

Sorry, I am not satisfied with the performance of what I have. More so in the processing speed.

Edited by Bushisland, 12 September 2007 - 05:20 PM.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You can mix and match brands (Like use Sony and Samsung, for instance). Not sure about the rest though.

I think adding more RAM would be your best bet. I have a HP notebook and it was going INSANELY slow. The processor would over heat and it would slow down to a crawl. I added extra RAM and now it runs cool and significantly faster.

But I would never need as much RAM as 4GB.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
[quote name='pccromeo' date='Sep 13 2007, 01:09 PM' post='1049220']
You can mix and match brands (Like use Sony and Samsung, for instance). Not sure about the rest though.

I think adding more RAM would be your best bet. I have a HP notebook and it was going INSANELY slow. The processor would over heat and it would slow down to a crawl. I added extra RAM and now it runs cool and significantly faster.

But I would never need as much RAM as 4GB.
[Quote]

Thanks for the input.I understand 4GB is the max I can use using 32Bit. I'm wait for more info.

Edited by Bushisland, 13 September 2007 - 06:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can run ram modules of different brands together, usually without problems.

When you mix speeds, keep in mind that it's going to run at the speed of the slowest installed module. Using your example, if you add 800MHz modules to the existing 667MHz modules, all the modules will run at 667MHz. You'll probably see more performance boost by replacing the 667MHz with the 800MHz modules.

Make sure the ram you get is compatible with your chipset. Some intel chipsets require low density ram.

I'm running Vista Ultimate on 2 gigs of Corsair and have no complaints in the performance department.

Bushisland

Bushisland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Your response to the Ram issue is very good. It sold me. Thank you.

Edited by Bushisland, 19 September 2007 - 04:08 PM.