Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

eZAK

eZAK

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I had a power failure while working on an email.

After 3 hours the power was back on. I then tried to boot up but it only got as far as the WinXP logo screen, then it tries to restart all over.

I tried a recovery CD from the mfg.
This gets me to the desktop but it takes over 5 min.
I have no 'Start' button on desktop. To get to a program I have to go through task manager "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
All programs and files seem to be there but none can be accessed including 'Restore'.

Going to F8 at start up yeilds the same result.

No internet either even though I can access through a second PC on the same network.

I'm open for suggestions!

Thank You!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With task manager, do you get anything if you click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter

Do you have to use the CD to get to the desktop

Which way do you use the CD to get to the desktop

If the PC tower has an on - off switch at the back, can you switch it off for a minute, then try, otherwise, disconnect it from the mains then try

Maybe worth switching any printers etc off and removing their USB leads

eZAK

eZAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

With task manager, do you get anything if you click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter
Yes task manager does work. It is the only way I can open anything. I haven't tried explorer but will try soon.

Do you have to use the CD to get to the desktop
At first Yes, But Not now.

Which way do you use the CD to get to the desktop
I used it in a 'Non-destructive' mode

If the PC tower has an on - off switch at the back, can you switch it off for a minute, then try, otherwise, disconnect it from the mains then try
Yes, I have tried that. Switiching the PC off button and the power strip button.

Maybe worth switching any printers etc off and removing their USB leads

Thanks for your help. I'm gettingt fustrated though. I'm on the verge of dumping everything and starting over. I have about 80% of my pics saved and 90% of programs can be restored via CD or Net. I trying to avoid this b/c everything seems to be intact.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If explorer.exe didn't help

Use task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter

eZAK

eZAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
explorer.exe brings me right to My Documents.

sfc /scannow brings up a info window, Windows File Protection. After 20 min. there is no change in the window.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a blue progress bar

Use task manager, click file, new task, type chkdsk /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

Check disc will take ages, an hour or so to get to the desktop, the screen will either show the progress through 5 stages, the 5th may seem to hang but don't worry, or the screen may remain blank until complete, do not disturb this