Dell 4600, 2.66mhz, original memory 256mb - now upgraded to 1.256mg via 2 512mb DIMM (K-byte PC3200/2700)
What I did:
- Upgraded the memory of the machine (unplugged, done carefully)
- First try: upgraded the memory by removing the 256mb chips and putting in the 2 512mb DIMMs. Worked great to begin with, then kept having thermal event shutdowns.
- Second try: put the original memory back in, then powered up - machine powered up fine, no thermal event shutdown.
- Added the 2 512mb DIMM in secondary memory slots (3/4) without removing the original 256mb memory - so total memory is 1.3mb.
- Run the machine for 2-3 hours looking for thermal event. Nothing happens.
- Return machine to friend
- Get a call from friend - machine no longer turning on.
- Stopped by his house, pressed the power button - indeed, it tries to power up, then stops. So lights come on for a second and then the lights turn off.
So my question is this: does anybody have any idea what has happened?
- Did I fry the power supply?
- Is there something else going on?
Any help greatly appreciated!