Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Wireless Network Security Question-Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Everyone- I am new to this forum and brand new to wireless networking. I was hoping some of you kind souls could help me with some security questions. I have done all the usual stuff recommended in terms of securing my wireless home network....I.E....Turned off broadcasting and changed the name of my SSID, Enabled MAC Filtering, changed the default password, disabled remote access, enabled WAP encryption(WPA2 not offered through my service provider yet). I also have anti virus, anti spyware, and firewall protection installed and enabled. My questions are as follows:

1.) In order for my wireless network to be hacked wirelessely(I.E....someone uses netstumbler or similar program that picks up unbroadcasted networks[I know netstumbler doesn't do that so well]to pick up network,crack encryption, gather packets, etc)....does the wardriver have to actually be able to pick up my wireless signal? I live in a fairly isolated area and I do not think my signal would be to strong, if picked up at all, off my property. I am going to go out with netstumbler on my laptop and my SSID on broadcast later and see if it picks it up off my property....but assuming it does not can the wireless network still be hacked without being able to pick up that signal. I know it can still be hacked in the traditional manner I.E....through e-mails, phishing, pharming etc....but my concern is the wireless hacking.

2.) I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse. Does this increase my risk of hackers being able to pick up my keystrokes. Is there any software that is specifically designed to secure wireless keyboards and mice?

3.) Any additional security recommendations on how to lock down my network? Obviously I am concerned about security....so much so that I have been using my old dial up account over my new wireless connection until I can get some of these questions answered by knowledgable people.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Have to be in range.
2) No.
3) I think you've covered it.

Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer