Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why can't I install Windows update Q329441 ?

• Please log in to reply

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi again--

well when I highlighted Winlogon the right pane decided to play w/ us...

everything came out like you said.....default=exefile
content type= application/x-msdownload

what next Commander???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Both are as they should be?

Did you have to create the Shell string?

Are you able to connect here using the bad machine?

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
both were as they should be...and no; I didn't have to create a string...and yes; i"ve been using machine since

installing "Firefox" thanx....................................next...................will be retiring for the evening soon sir.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great... :whistling:

Let's take a look at Device Manager and call it a night.

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Click on the "Hardware" tab...then the "Device Manager" button. Expand the catagory Sound, Video, and Game controllers". Look in the list for the sound device. The one on my XP machine is a Realtek AC 97...your's may be different...like Soundblaster. If in doubt, give me the list (excluding legacy devices and codecs) and I'll pick it out.

We'll need to find that and check it's status. If you find the device, right click on it and choose "Properties". What does it say in the Device Status section?

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
well it says,"This device cannot start. (code 10)"

Click troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I didn't want to until you gave me the word ...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the Device? Sounds like we may have to install new drivers...we'll round them up first.

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Wannabe-

the device is C-Media AC97 Audio Device...

and the troubleshooter said to uninstall and re-install the device to possibly get it going....

if you recommend that I do this I will tomorrow morning........................pretty tired..

thanks for all the help this evening....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's easy to do and will only take as long as it takes to reboot.

In Device Manager, right click on the AC97 audio device and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". The Prefetch folder should open. Click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All". Press the Delete key. Close the Prefetch folder and the Device Manager. Reboot.

Let me know how it goes.

Go to bed.... :whistling:

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello there Wannabe1---

Well heck.....I'm not sure what happened.....guess I should have stayed up a little longer.....well, when I chose

"select all" in the prefetch folder, it highlighted 48 items, and I deleted them.....So, after re-booting; I opened

Windows Media Player to see if the sound card was working again.....I enjoy internet radio.....well everytime

I would try to click on anything in the player, Mozilla would throw up a full screen window, with a smaller

advertisement window inside the upper left.....every click a new ad......what's going on now boss??

It would never let the media player respond to any clicks....I'll make sure I stay awake tonight......lol.....thx.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like something has gotten in there...something that isn't supposed to be there.

Post a HiJackThis log for me....the full scan one like in the Malware Forum...so I can see what's running and from where. You may be going back to see Rorschach112 with this portion of the problem.

Advertisements

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay; here's the HJT log.............

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   4.32KB   108 downloads

--
End of file - 4378 bytes

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Wannabe1--

I claim to not know anything--so please don't misunderstand me......but is there a way that you could see the

contents of my "recycle bin" maybe before sending me back to Rorschach112....It sure seems to look like some

of the stuff maybe shouldn't be in there??? I don't know sir, nor claim to...would just like to make these repairs,

put my music library on here, and enjoy....can you see this as being attainable sir ????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How large is the Recycler folder? To find out, Open Control Panel and double click on "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, in the "Advanced Settings" section, locate and select "Show hidden files and folders"...Apply the change.

Open My Computer and double click on "Local Disk C:". Right click on the folder "Recycler" and choose "Properties". How large is it?

=======================

For the popup problem in Firefox, let's see if the pop up blocker is enabled....just to keep that stuff at bay until we find out whats causing them. In Firefox, click on "Tools" on the toolbar and choose "Options...". Click on the "Content" icon. Select all four of the top check boxes and Apply the change.

There is one process running on the machine that may be the culprit that's causing the pop ups...I've asked a malware expert to look at the log and see what he thinks. It's installed by Comcast, Cox, and some other ISP's as a Security Utility, but has also been known to be associated with a Trojan virus.

=======================

When you start your machine, do you hear the startup sounds?

wyldkatt

wyldkatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
there is NO "recycler" folder on C drive......sorry

have to run some errands---will return in a few hours-----thank you

Edited by wyldkatt, 16 September 2007 - 01:56 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My mistake, wyldkatt... :whistling:

It's a protected system file. Go back to folder options (View tab) and remove the tick from "Hide protected system files"...Apply the change. Now see if you can find the Recycler folder. :blink: