Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery of the missing tool bars...

• Please log in to reply

angelicrescue45

angelicrescue45

• Pip
  • 3 posts
MS Word 2000 froze when I opened it during a slow boot up, I couldn't close it so I ctrl + alt + del and tried to end task. Instead of clicking end task I clicked cancel, by accident. Then I restarted the computer, installed some windows updates, then opened Word again and the tool bars (all of them) and the menu bar were gone. I could still work within the program, but even I don't know enough keyboard shortcuts to complete a document without any formatting tools. I tried asking the help cartoon but that didn't work either--it kept telling me to click on a menu... I don't have any menus!!! I was planning on reinstalling the program but I really don't want to have to recreate all my settings. I tried reinstall/repair from the disk but that didn't work. I think the problem is with normal template. Other than missing the tool and menu bars, the program is functional.

Please help me with this unusual problem!
:tazz:
Lari

Advertisements

tivo304

tivo304

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well Lari, I've had something similar happen to me a few times with some of my word programs. You'll have to uninstall and reinstall should you want your Word Program back. Plus, if you want to keep your documents, just save them on a floppy or stick them in a created folder on your computer somewhere. Going straight to your C: drive would be the best place to save them in a folder.

Edited by tivo304, 15 April 2005 - 04:48 PM.

angelicrescue45

angelicrescue45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Actually, i found a solution by googling the problem...

Close Word 2000
Got to start --> run
Type "winword.exe /a" (make sure there's a space between e and /)
Open Word reconfirm or change your username and initials and the tool bars a back
Close word and reopen-- everything is back to the way it was before the problem happened!

Hope this helps others who had this issue! I was so happy I DIDN'T have to reinstall :tazz:

Lari

BarbaraSheridan

BarbaraSheridan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Close Word 2000
Got to start --> run
Type "winword.exe /a" (make sure there's a space between e and /)
Open Word reconfirm or change your username and initials and the tool bars a back
Close word and reopen-- everything is back to the way it was before the problem happened!

Thank you so much!!! I have been going insane for two days becuase my menu bar disappeared and uninstalling/reinstalling did nothing to help. I was told to change the normal.doc file and couldn't even find it but this trick worked perfectly in a few seconds!