Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer 'not correctly installed'

• Please log in to reply

adfro7

adfro7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Right, I've been scouring the internet for a couple of days to try and get this sorted, but so far I've had no success.

I think there are a lot of underlying issues aside from this problem, but at the moment this is probably the most important.

I'm a relative beginner as far as computer geekness goes, being only 16 years old, but being more than computer literate.

The problem arose when I tried to clear up my registry using RegSeeker and CCleaner a few days ago. Everything seemed to be fine. Then everything wasn't fine. I tried to system restore back 1 day, then 2, then 3, but none of them worked.

I tried to go restore the backup files within RegSeeker but they didn't seem to work, and then of course they disappeared after I had tried.

So then it all began I guess. I followed some advice from a friend on getting rid of the 'LiveCall' Process, which was hogging quite a bit of CPU, then things started to go wrong. I removed LiveCall and other .dll's from the Messenger folder in Program Files, then when trying to open Windows Messenger, it came up with the windows installer box 'Preparing to Install..' after a while an error popped up saying 'Windows installer could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode or the installer is not correctly installed'. I put all the LiveCall and .dll's I had removed back to where they are supposed to be, but still the same problems. I probably screwed things up even more whilst trying to fix them but hey.

So I try re-installing messenger but the same error pops up. I look on the internet and tried going into 'Services' via Control Panel to make sure Installer was started. It's set as Manual startup, but the service status is set as Stopped. When I click start the message 'Windows Installer service started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do etc'.

The path to executable is 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe /V' As it apparently should be, from looking on other help sites.

I've typed 'msiexec /unreg' then msiexec /regserver' in Run, as advised by many sites too.

I've typed in 'cmd' then tried the 'ren msiexec.dll msiexec.old' commands as advised by the windows sites. But nothing has worked.

I've tried installing the newest version of Windows Installer (3.1?) but that won't work.

I tried repairing Windows XP using the disc I got when I got my computer (4 years old) but thats just set me back onto service pack one, windows installer STILL doesn't work, tried updating to service pack two (what I was on a few days ago) but now that won't work saying 'The update cannot be applied'. It's the SP-2 update for Microsoft Office 2000 to let you know.

Every couple of weeks, sometimes everyday, my computer also restarts itself, when I log back on it says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I have no viruses when I scan with Norton Antivirus 2006, no problems when I scan with Spybot - Search and Destroy, SpySweeper or Adaware. I rarely get any problems when I scan using Windows Defender.

I probably am a bit naive when downloading certain things or going on certain websites, and also quite impatient when trying to get things to work. This might have contributed to the problems I'm having.

My computer is working. I'm typing from it right now whilst also on Windows Messenger (I have to install Messenger Plus! everytime I want to open up Messenger as it opens it up itself).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Right click on My Computer.

Select "Properties".

Click on "Advanced" tab.

Under "Startup and Recovery" click on "Settings".

Uncheck "Automatically Restart".

Click OK.

Next time your computer crashes, instead of restarting, you will be presented with a BSOD. Write down the info. on the BSOD, especially the "Stop" number. Post the information. This will help in diagnosing the problem.

adfro7

adfro7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It hasn't crashed for a week or so now. I don't know what causes it, but it's kind of tempramental. The most important thing is the Windows Installer at the moment. I'm only on SP-1 right now, which isn't ideal. I can't upgrade due to the Windows Installer error.