Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FPS PROBLEM IN STEAM GAMES

• Please log in to reply

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
hi i just bought this 256 Radeon sound card and i'm having trouble getting my fps to stay consistant.. i keeps jumpping up and down from 10 fps to 80 fps...

i have my fps_max 101..

if you have any idea as to how to fix it please let me know. i really need it to work. i dont want to have to go back to my 128 card : ( :whistling:

Advertisements

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Also my CPU USAGE is going F_ing Crazy 20 to 100 cpu usage just from being in a game!

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
NO wonder no ones replying. i ment Radeon Video Card.. duh.. sorry about that. still isn't working properly though.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Have you tried dropping your graphics settings in the game?

Do you have any background programs running that could be CPU intensive, Antivirus, BOINC projects, etc.

**Edit

I'm also curious, do you have any other PCI cards plugged in? Such as a sound card?

Edited by ADNoland, 19 September 2007 - 04:41 PM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
i bought a sound card almost a month ago and a video card about 2 weeks ago:

SOUND CARD: Dynex 5.1 Sound card( PCI )
VIDEO CARD: VisionTek Radeon X1300 Series 256 MB ( PCI )
--------------------------------------------------------------
The only programs i have running are Steam/DOD(day of defeat) and Xfire...(no anti virus bs [bleep] either) i put the video settings on lowest 32 bit or 16 bit-even on 16bit it sucks, the cpu usage while playing stays at 100 % and the fps spikes bad.
--------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for helpin if you find an answer or idea.

haha "bleep" sorry for swear lol

Edited by Kaygen123, 19 September 2007 - 09:01 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
What's the processor you have? I'm surprised you're having problems in such an old game.

I am wondering if possibly you have something on your system that could be using its resources, some sort of spyware or trojan.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
oh, i have no clue what the processor is and how to find info on it. i dont have any spyware or trajans to my knowledge. i dont think i do b/c i just reformated my computer or i reinstalled windows. ( whichever one is the one where you have to reinstall the drivers and all the programs )

yeah i dunno what the problem is thats why i came here. i know other people who have the same type of PCI card as me and they say its fine. steady 60-90 fps.

so if you need to know about the processer, walk me through it. add me on xfire or ask for my aim name :)

Edited by Kaygen123, 20 September 2007 - 06:12 PM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
For Windows XP:

Start > Right click My Computer > Properties

System properties will appear. Around the lower right corner you should see an area called Computer. The first bit of information is your processor, the second bit is how much memory you have installed.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
IT SAYS: Intel® Celerone® CPU 2.40GHz 2.40GHz, 1.24 GB of RAM

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
It may be the processor that's the problem. This is not a subject I know alot about and maybe someone else can give more information. Could there be a CPU bottleneck?

Advertisements

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
What the heck is a CPU bottleneck? someone who knows alot about processers?

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
the processor should be fast enough, and its not an overheating problem as older intels have, as the PC wouldnt lag, it would shut down. i would update your video card drivers, perform a thorough virus/spyware scan, update DOD to the newest release, update windows itself, and then see what happens

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK one of my online friends recommended this to me "cyborgdragon: AVG Free Edition, ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware, and SymanTec/Norton AntiVirus
cyborgdragon: Scan with AVG, Ad-Aware, and Norton/Symantec
cyborgdragon: and monitor all internet accesses with ZoneAlarm
cyborgdragon: Scan it with 3 or scanners, monitor your internet protocols with ZoneAlert, and then defrag it." im not sure how to get all that sh_t and how to use it. so i'll have to get my brothers help. if any of you are willing to walk me through it that would be nice.

thanks

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well, I can give you the websites for each of them. Most all have free versions of their products.

AVG Antivirus

Ad-Aware

Norton Antivirus
Norton isn't free, but it does have a free trial.

ZoneAlarm
Select the button that says "I only want basic protection"

So, lots of work. I like using a free online virus scanner. You can try it if you want.

Trend Micro HouseCall

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Also try Spybot:S&D and AVG Anti-Spyware, they are both in my signature.

Try and run full scans for each program, once they are updated. If any program finds any problems, start working through the malware forum instructions, found here.

As a GeekU student, all I can say is you need to take malware very seriously. You should be running one firewall (such as ZoneAlarm), one anti-virus (such as avast!, I recommend it over AVG Free), and a few anti-spyware programs.